Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Qsys generation failed using DDR3 SDRAM controller with uniPHY - Cyclone V GX

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i have an Altera Cyclone V GX with Quartus 13.0 (Windows 7 Web Edition) and i implemented a Qsys system using a DDR3 SDRAM controller with uniPHY. 

When i try to generate, the following errors occur: 

Error: s0: Error during execution of "{C:/altera/13.0/quartus/../nios2eds/Nios II Command Shell.bat} make all 2>> stderr.txt": child process exited abnormally 

Error: s0: Execution of command "{C:/altera/13.0/quartus/../nios2eds/Nios II Command Shell.bat} make all 2>> stderr.txt" failed 

Error: s0: ]2;Altera Nios II EDS 13.0 [gcc4]C:/altera/13.0/quartus/bin/uniphy_mcc -ac_code sequencer_mc/ac_rom.s -inst_code sequencer_mc/inst_rom.s -ac_rom ../strIV_cycV(4)_altmemddr_0_s0_AC_ROM.hex -inst_rom ../strIV_cycV(4)_altmemddr_0_s0_inst_ROM.hex -header sequencer/sequencer_auto.h -vheader ../sequencer_auto_h.sv -ac_rom_init sequencer/sequencer_auto_ac_init.c -inst_rom_init sequencer/sequencer_auto_inst_init.c -DAC_ROM_MR0=0010000110001 -DAC_ROM_MR0_CALIB= -DAC_ROM_MR0_DLL_RESET=0010100110000 -DAC_ROM_MR1=0000001000100 -DAC_ROM_MR1_OCD_ENABLE= -DAC_ROM_MR2=0000000001000 -DAC_ROM_MR3=0000000000000 -DAC_ROM_MR0_MIRR=0010001001001 -DAC_ROM_MR0_DLL_RESET_MIRR=0010011001000 -DAC_ROM_MR1_MIRR=0000000100100 -DAC_ROM_MR2_MIRR=0000000010000 -DAC_ROM_MR3_MIRR=0000000000000 -DQUARTER_RATE=0 -DHALF_RATE=1 -DFULL_RATE=0 -DGUARANTEED_READ_BRINGUP_TEST=0 -DMEM_ADDR_WIDTH=13 -DHARD_PHY=0 

Error: s0: child process exited abnormally 

Error: s0: Cannot find sequencer/sequencer.elf 

Error: s0: An error occurred 

while executing 

"error "An error occurred"" 

(procedure "_error" line 8) 

invoked from within 

"_error "Cannot find $seq_file"" 

("if" then script line 2) 

invoked from within 

"if {[file exists $seq_file] == 0} { 

_error "Cannot find $seq_file" 

}" 

(procedure "alt_mem_if::util::seq_mem_size::get_max_memory_usage" line 14) 

invoked from within 

"alt_mem_if::util::seq_mem_size::get_max_memory_usage [file join "sequencer" "sequencer.elf"" 

invoked from within 

"set calc_mem_size [alt_mem_if::util::seq_mem_size::get_max_memory_usage [file join "sequencer" "sequencer.elf"]]" 

("if" then script line 2) 

invoked from within 

"if { !$do_only_rw_mgr_mc && !($bfm_mode || $hps_mode)} { 

set calc_mem_size [alt_mem_if::util::seq_mem_size::get_max_memory_usage [file join "sequenc..." 

(procedure "generate_qsys_sequencer_sw" line 746) 

invoked from within 

"generate_qsys_sequencer_sw $prepend_str $protocol $pre_compile_dir $fileset $inhdl_dir $rdimm $lrdimm 0 0 $nios_hex_file_name $ac_rom_init_file_name ..." 

invoked from within 

"set seq_mem_size_list [generate_qsys_sequencer_sw $prepend_str $protocol $pre_compile_dir $fileset $inhdl_dir $rdimm $lrdimm 0 0 $nios_hex_file_name ..." 

("if" else script line 2) 

invoked from within 

"if {[::alt_mem_if::util::qini::qini_value alt_mem_if_seq_size_request 0] > 0} { 

set seq_mem_size [::alt_mem_if::util::qini::qini_value alt_mem_if_se..." 

(procedure "alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_qsys_sequencer" line 195) 

invoked from within 

"alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_qsys_sequencer "${name}" $protocol $tmpdir $fileset {}" 

invoked from within 

"set qsys_sequencer_files_list [alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_qsys_sequencer "${name}" $protocol $tmpdir $fileset {}]" 

(procedure "alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_sequencer_files" line 3) 

invoked from within 

"alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_sequencer_files $name "DDR3" $tmpdir QUARTUS_SYNTH" 

invoked from within 

"foreach generated_file [alt_mem_if::gen::uniphy_gen::generate_sequencer_files $name "DDR3" $tmpdir QUARTUS_SYNTH] { 

set file_name [file tail $genera..." 

(procedure "generate_synth" line 8) 

invoked from within 

"generate_synth strIV_cycV(4)_altmemddr_0_s0" 

Info: s0: "altmemddr_0" instantiated altera_mem_if_ddr3_qseq "s0" 

Error: Generation stopped, 6 or more modules remaining 

Info: strIV_cycV(4): Done strIV_cycV(4)" with 59 modules, 280 files, 6195125 bytes 

Error: ip-generate failed with exit code 1: 7 Errors, 0 Warnings  

I tried to fix this errors several times but i always failed. I tried to change some DDR3 SDRAM controller with uniPHY core parameters but during the generation i obtained the same errors. 

I think the trouble concerns the sequencer of the uniPHY. How can i manage the sequencer? Where i can find sequencer.elf? 

How can i fix this errors? :confused: 

Thanks. 

Luca
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Do you try to upgrade your design to QII V14.0? Did you still see the same error messages?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've created several DDR3 UniPHY designs with various Quartus versions and have not see the error messages you're seeing; although I was using the Subscription Edition of Quartus. 

This thread 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43992 

contains a DDR3 UniPHY design for the BeMicro-CV (Cyclone V) board (see the zip file with post# 5). The readme.txt in the DDR design folder contains the steps used to create the IP core. 

Perhaps you could read that to see if you've configured the core differently, or whether the problem is that you are using the Web Edition. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos