Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

QuartusII doesn't auto assign pins for CycloneV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new to the FPGA world and am currently using Quartus II 12.0. I am working with the Cyclone V device. 

I need the tool to auto assign the pins and i should be able to see the location in the pin planner window. But I dont see the tool assigning any pin. 

I need the auto assign feature as I need to handover the map to the schematic designer so that he can reroute and place some pins accordingly. 

Please suggest steps for the above problem. 

Thanks, 

Sanjana
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't specify which pins Quartus is to use it will assign them. You'll find them in the 'Fitter Location' column in the Pin Planner. If you can't see the column it may be off your screen to the right or not visible. If it's not visible, right-click on a column heading and add the Fitter Location column to the table. 

The pinout is also captured in the .pin file. This will either be in your main project directory or, with newer version of Quartus, in the 'output_files' sub-directory. 

If you're committing to a PCB based on this pinout, be sure to Back-annotate the pinout in your project, so it doesn't change after the next compile. Under the 'Assignments' menu, select 'Back-Annotate Assignements...'. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I dont see the "fitter location" among all the other options. The .pin file is not getting generated and also thefit.rpt file assigns the signal to pads. Eg: 

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 

; Input Pins ; 

+----------------------+-------------+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------------+--------------------+--------+-----------------+----------+--------------+--------------+-------------+---------------------------+----------------------+ 

; Name ; Pin# ; I/O Bank ; X coordinate ; Y coordinate ; Z coordinate ; Combinational Fan-Out ; Registered Fan-Out ; Global ; PCI I/O Enabled ; Bus Hold ; Weak Pull Up ; I/O Standard ; Termination ; Termination Control Block ; Location assigned by ; 

+----------------------+-------------+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------------+--------------------+--------+-----------------+----------+--------------+--------------+-------------+---------------------------+----------------------+ 

; ADC_DIN ; X66_Y81_N74 ; 7A ; 66 ; 81 ; 74 ; 1 ; 0 ; no ; no ; no ; Off ; 2.5 V ; Off ; -- ; Fitter ; 

; CONTACT_START_DIG_IN ; X64_Y0_N34 ; 4A ; 64 ; 0 ; 34 ; 1 ; 0 ; no ; no ; no ; Off ; 2.5 V ; Off ; -- ; Fitter ; 

Any idea what can be done to make the tool assign properly? Am I missing any settings? 

Kindly help. 

Thanks in advance. 

Sanjana
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does Quartus generate a .sof programming file for you? I've never known Quartus not to produce a .pin file if you get a .sof. 

If you can't see the 'Fitter Location' column, enable it. 

--- Quote Start ---  

If it's not visible, right-click on a column heading and add the Fitter Location column to the table. 

--- Quote End ---  

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you assigned all top level pins as virtual?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No. Quartus is not generating a .sof file. 

Also, I get these critical warnings: 

Critical Warning (169085): No exact pin location assignment(s) for 195 pins of 195 total pins 

Critical Warning (332148): Timing requirements not met
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, none of the pins are virtual.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Upgrade your version of Quartus. Whilst Q12.0 'supports' Cyclone V, it may well only be with preliminary data. This may be why it's not generating the files you need. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great!!! Thanks so much!! 

I wasn't aware that it didn't fully support the Cyc5 family as it popped no error messages about it. I used QuartusII 15.0 and it did the work. 

Thanks again. 

Sanjana
0 Kudos