Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Reading and programming an EPM7064LC68-15

xrodney
Beginner

HI all

I am new to this and exploring the possibility to read an Altera EPM7064LC68-15 from an arcade PCB so I would be able to program a new Altera or equivalent CPLD in order to repair some faulty boards I have.

I am looking in different programmers, but I read in another post that these CPLD's might be locked.  Is this a possibility?  Can it be bypassed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

The CPLD is not locked, it is encrypted. If you want to extract the configuration image of the CPLD, you need programming cable and Quartus Programmer and run "Examine". You can use this file to program another CPLD with same part number of the original CPLD. But still, you wont be able to figure out the design inside the CPLD even you have the encrypted image.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Not accurate.

MAX series parts have a security bit which can be set when the device is programmed that prevents it from being read back.
So the device is effectively locked from being read; it can only be erased and reprogrammed.

Even then, the online available versions of Quartus that support the MAX series do not support reading back the device .POF file.
You have to go to an earlier version of Quartus than 13.0sp1 to be able to read back the .POF image file.

A third party programmer (EEtools, Xeltek) could read the device and save the .POF file, but it would have to be done out of circuit.
And still requires that the security bit NOT be set.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos