Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20723 Discussions

Source synchronous Input Constraints Edge Align

OrF
Employee

Hi 

following Altera/Intel course  of about the source synchronous constraints  https://learning.intel.com/Developer/learn/course/168/play/1632:223/constraining-source-synchronous-interfaces 

I become confused - regarding Edge Aligned input constraints . 

the definitions of Edge Align {at  slides 6 and 13 (Section 2.2 and  3.5) }

is that the data is transmitted at same edge, and the instruction is to insert PLL with 180 phase shift . (slide 11 (section 3.3)  and slide 13 (section 3.5) )

But the confusion is once we want to define the "input max delay" and "input min delay" at Slide 19 (3.11) 

--> in the diagram here (and also the calculation )  Latch Clock is not phase shifted as expected  (since we added  PLL ) 

so my question is : 

if the data is transmitted Edge-Aligned and in the Input FPGA I insert  PLL which shifts the clock by 180 deg. do  I need to use the equations of:  

"Edge Align "   , input max delay = -setup , input min delay = hold -period 

or 

"Center Aligned" , input max delay = period / 2 -setup , input min delay = hold - period/2

EdgeAlign1.gifEdgeAlign2.gif

Thanks 

Or 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You use the edge-aligned equations.  The phase shift from the PLL happens inside the FPGA, not at the inputs, where the data and clock are still edge aligned.  Use -setup and hold-period as shown.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You use the edge-aligned equations.  The phase shift from the PLL happens inside the FPGA, not at the inputs, where the data and clock are still edge aligned.  Use -setup and hold-period as shown.

0 Kudos