Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Starter questions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am new to this, it's just for a hobby and I had a few dumb questions about working with Altera Cyclone II dev-kit. 

1. Can the dev kit be configured to program a second fpga board? I am planning to design the PCB, order it from a shop and assemble it myself. The byte blaster is another $150 and dont want to get it if I dont need it. 

2. What are the minimum components I will need a run a PCB with a Cyclone II, regulators to make correct voltage off batteries, and just a few switches, L.E.D.s and relays? What else would I need to put on there to start building a simple system? and would be kit be able to configure it? 

3. Is it impossible to to design and etch the board myself? or is the detail on the FPGA too small to do that way.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) - Yes, you can make your own programmer, but it would be more work than it's worth. A USB-Blaster is well worth the money, especially if you are a beginer. If you know a bunch of logic designers, ask around. An old Byte blaster could be had for less. 

2) - Almost. You will need a handfull of bypass capaciotrs for power, such as .1 uF ceramics. Review the pin list carefully. (Many relays need a transistor driver circuit.) 

3) It is impractical to etch your own board. You can design a layout yourself, and there are several prototype PWB people who can make the board for you. Look for adds in EETimes: www.otterusa.com, www.pcbpool.com, www.pcborder.com.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answers, thats a step further for me. Ill start with making the program for chip with the dev board, and go from there. 

I'm not like some guys, asking you to make my designs for free, Im just trying to not blow stuff up.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DE2 University board has a built in USB Blaster programmer - just plug in a USB cable. You might be able to copy that portion of the design for your board. 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/unv-de2-board.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the advice, But my Altera Cyclone II Dev kit has arrived and I see lots of Byt Blaster II clones on ebay for $49.  

I was a bit intimidated about learning the HDL language, since I only worked with block/circuit diagrams with Max-PlusII, but adding stuff to the examples they gave me I LOVE IT! its so easy to write HDL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:) It's exciting when you realize how much you can do. One resource I highly recommend when establishing your style is "HDL Chip Design" by Doug Smith. He has great insight on practical concerns about how to do HDL right, and tons of examples in VHDL and Verilog.

0 Kudos