Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20624 Discussions

Storing password input using PS/2 keyboard

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to create a 6 digit password using a PS2 Keyboard and then store it. I already have the PS2 Keyboard code working (see attachment) and have modified it so that it shows up as a 7 segment display when I press any of the number keys like 1234567890.  

What I want to do is to press the space key for example to initiate and then type in a six digit password like "123456" and then store those 6 digits.  

I'm using DE2-115.  

Any help would be great, thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure what you want to know. You want to detect a certain sequence? Then you might try a state machine for the sequence detection, and comparators for the chars.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think you need to know where you want to store those information either in an external flash device (such as CFI flash, SPI etc) or in the on-chip memory of the FGPA device. The FPGA device contains volatile type memory which means once you power down, all the information is lost. Thus, if you need to store those information in a non-volatile type memory, then you would need to use a component/IP to access those flash memory in your project design. For example, if you are use EPCS device with the FPGA, then you can use ASMI Parallel IP to access (read, write and erase) and store the password information in the EPCS device. 

Regards, 

nyusof 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

The FPGA device contains volatile type memory which means once you power down, all the information is lost. Thus, if you need to store those information in a non-volatile type memory, then you would need to use a component/IP to access those flash memory in your project design.  

--- Quote End ---  

Or hardcode it in the hardware description, it depends on what you want to use the password for but if it is a one-off design, or something that it is ok for if all devices have the same passcode it will work. If it is safe depends on what level of safety you want.
0 Kudos