Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Stratix 1 easy migration path

My main board is still using Stratix 1which is EOL. I need to keep building the board and I need a easy migration to the newer version, that will requires layout change but I am trying to avoid heavy redesign. Can you help i providing any recommended version of the Stratix.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Lastest version supported for Stratix I device is  

13.0sp1 if you have a Quartus II Subscription ( License needed ) 

or  

11.0sp1 with Quartus Web Edition. (No License needed) 

Ref: 

http://dl.altera.com/devices/ 

Best Regards, 

arslanusman2003 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

--- Quote Start ---  

My main board is still using Stratix1 which is EOL. I need to keep building the board and I need a easy migration to the newer version, that will requires layout change but I am trying to avoid heavy redesign. Can you help i providing any recommended version of the Stratix.  

--- Quote End ---  

The OP is not asking about Quartus tools support, but rather a migration path from the (now EOL) Stratix I device to a later generation Stratix IV or V, or Arria V, or possibly Cyclone V. 

There are a number of choices; depends a lot on what resources your current design uses in the Stratix I device (number of I/Os, amount of internal block ram, number of logic elements, possibly any DSP resources). 

At the board level power supply considerations (number, voltage, current) will need to be explored, as well as possible package size restrictions (altho you are most likely restricted to a BGA package) and maybe pad pitch considerations, depending on your board complexity. 

Based on what you know about your design (number of LE, amount of block ram) you might examine the above families to see what might be reasonably applicable (ie, a lower utilization Stratix I design might now work in a much cheaper Cyclone V part). Will require reading a lot of data sheets. 

Or you could load your current design into Quartus and try compiling it into various device architectures / packages and see what Quartus says works, or not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

I'd let Quartus do the hard work for you (as ak6dn also suggested). Cyclone V should be a good fit and should alleviate some (possibly all) power rail capacity concerns - it should certainly be lower power. I think you should be able to use the same set of rails. 

Throw your whole design at Quartus. You may have to specifically address any IP that the design uses, although Cyclone V will cope with a number of Stratix IP blocks. Once you have something that goes through the tools target a device with a similar package to your original part, then start assigning I/O to approximately the right area of the part, if not the same pin (if available) of the original part. 

Whilst this will be a very iterative process, and potentially tedious, I think you'll end up with a pretty good match, hopefully with minimal board changes. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos