CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20751 Discussions

The question about Intel Arria10 HPS mounting NorFlash write

gongmh
Beginner

hello,

The models and quartus versions I am currently using are as follows:

FPGA: 10AS032E2F2912SG

Writing software: Nios II Command Shall(Quartus Prime Pro 20.3)

Question: GigaDevice NorFlash, model GD55LB01GEFIRY, cannot be burned through Quartus command line or graphical interface tool. In the following figure, the red box indicates an error when writing on the command line. The ID cannot be identified.

111.jpg

Requirement: You can write NorFlash GD55LB01GEFIRY mounted on the HPS using the command line interface (CLI) or GUI. The command line is preferred.

Data: The following figure shows the ID marked on the Flash manual of the model.

222.jpg

Status: This model of Flash can be burned through the writer and runs normally. However, it is quite troublesome for research and development work or customer equipment maintenance after mass production.

thanks

gongmh

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

I am Jingyang and am assigned to your case.

Would like to know more about your current situation.

Have you successfully flash the flash on your end?

The quartus programmer only supports QSPI and NAND Flash.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683039/22-3/using-the-hps-flash-programmer.html

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

hello,

Current situation: we can only use the IC Prog to burn FLASH,  but we can not use the Quartus command line or graphical interface tool.

this results we need to weld the chip for writing  during the debugging phase when  boot update every time.

Regards

gongmh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Sorry to inform you that the flash that you are using is not part of the supported devices in the list

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/configuration/supported-flash-devices-for-arria-10-soc.html

That is the reason of the error message you are looking at.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

Hello ,

Can Intel help add the GD NorFlash GD55LB01GEFIRY? 

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Could you please provide me the company that you are working for?

Let me check if there is a FAE that is assigned to your company or do you know is there an FAE that was assigned to you?

What distributor you are using?

Mind sharing the Design Win value that you are expecting?

Will try to engage the engineering team to help out on this case.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

hello,Jingyang

The case has gone nowhere,we are the Business-intelligence Of Oriental Nations Corporation Ltd(BONC);

Looking forward to your help.

gongmh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Any update on this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

While I try to get help from the engineering team.

Have you tried programming your NorFlash using the Generic Flash Programmer from the Quartus Programmer?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683495/19-4/generic-flash-programmer-user-guide-49399.html

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Any update on this case?

May I suggest another method of loading which is through TFTP.

We could use uboot to load the Kernel Image and Rootfs to flash.

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BootingAlteraSoCFPGAFromNetworkUsingTFTPAndNFS

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

Hi Jingyang

now our PCBA have just come back. The problem has not yet been solved. We will try your method, We'll have to verify it with Micron's chip first, then Replace it with a GD chip.

Regards

gongmh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi gongmh

Is the tftp method working on your end?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

hi Jingyang

Thank you for your TFTP method, but when the A10  at the boot phase, we can't use the TFTP method to write image;

in the other word,Write the system image when the network is normal, but do not apply to empty boards(only use JTAG method.)

so ,would you provide the other method?

Regards

gongmh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi gongmh

Is it okay if you could request your distributor or FAE to file a ticket in the IPS system for this request of adding the device into the supported list?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
gongmh
Beginner

Hi  Jingyang

I will contact FAE to submit an application to add GD flash to the list. I will contact you with the progress later.

thank your help.

Regards

gongmh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 4 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos