Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20742 Discussions

USB Blaster windows 7 64bit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have recently acquired a cyclone 2 board, however I am having a lot of trouble getting the USB Blaster drivers to work for the device. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and got a fix. I have had a look around the forum and tried a few things suggested but nothing seems to work. When I try to install the driver (from the Quartus 10.1 web addition) it simple tells me that windows could not locate the drivers. Any tips? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try downloading the Quartus 10.1 Programmer, which should contain the drivers. 

Disclaimer: I'm using Windows 7 64-bit but with Subscription edition, so I'm not sure if the Programmer package contains the drivers or not ... 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should be able to download stand-alone-programmer, which does not require any license. 

It will come with programmer and signal-tap client. 

https://www.altera.com/download/programming/quartus2/pq2-index.jsp?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=programmer
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot USB blaster on windows 7 64 bit is working now

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am having cyclone 2 development board and quartus 2 10.1 subscription edition and stand alone programmer but still i had a problem with usb blaster, after following every step that is mentioned on your side, still windows couldn't find the driver for the device..... 

anybody knows what i suppose to do for installing usb blaster??????
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I had the same problem previously, with standalone programmer you also get Signal Tap II programmer. 

you can easily find the hardware device, and can program your device.  

--- Quote Start ---  

i am having cyclone 2 development board and quartus 2 10.1 subscription edition and stand alone programmer but still i had a problem with usb blaster, after following every step that is mentioned on your side, still windows couldn't find the driver for the device..... 

anybody knows what i suppose to do for installing usb blaster?????? 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

... still i had a problem with usb blaster ... 

--- Quote End ---  

You need to provide more details for anyone to be able to help you. For example, what appears in device manager when you plug in the cable, do you really have 64 bit, did you install the drivers from the full edition or the programmer edition?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is signal tap 2 programmer? 

and from where I can download? 

do you have a link from where I can download it?? 

What is the exact use of signal tap 2 programmer?? 

[=sagarcrystal;163057]Hi 

I had the same problem previously, with standalone programmer you also get Signal Tap II programmer. 

you can easily find the hardware device, and can program your device. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

while I'm not aware of a SignalTapII *Programmer*...  

SignalTapII is an integrated logic analyzer block you can activate in QuartusII (Tools => SignalTapII Logic Analyzer). This adds logic to your design and allows you to view configured internal signals which are recorded by the additional logic on the chip and uploaded to the PC via the programming hardware (USB-Blaster, ...). The Logic Analyzer Window contains also a "download" box likewise the programmer, maybe this was adressed as SignalTapII programmer...  

At least the SignalTapII is nothing that can be downloaded separately.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sir, so with the help of signaltap 2 analyzer i can program cyclone 2 or i have to use stand alone programmer to do it....... 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

while I'm not aware of a SignalTapII *Programmer*...  

SignalTapII is an integrated logic analyzer block you can activate in QuartusII (Tools => SignalTapII Logic Analyzer). This adds logic to your design and allows you to view configured internal signals which are recorded by the additional logic on the chip and uploaded to the PC via the programming hardware (USB-Blaster, ...). The Logic Analyzer Window contains also a "download" box likewise the programmer, maybe this was adressed as SignalTapII programmer...  

At least the SignalTapII is nothing that can be downloaded separately. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

well there are two packages 

- QuartusII as the design software package containing the programmer (Tools => Programmer) and a SignalTapII (tools => SignalTapII Logic Analyzer)  

Both are using the JTAG I/F to either configure (Programmer) or configure and upload signals for debugging (SignalTap II) 

- the standalone Programmer that only includes the ability to configure while the pof/sof File must be available. 

Thus you can use both tools to programm the device, depending on your intention... 

Regarding your initial problem - this is well known with "pre 12.1" versions (at least for the WebEdition) and is caused by the wrong driver / JTAG Server (32Bit edition) being installed while not working with the 64Bit edition. Either with installation of most recent 12.1 SP1 WebEdition or the most recent Stand-Alone Programmer this issue gets fixed. You just may not install the 10.1 version once again after having installed the 12.1 SP1...  

Even with the 10.1 subscription I would install the 12.1 in parallel as normally this installation fixes the issue and allows you to use the 10.1 subscription afterwards. (IIRC some stuff is reconfigured when starting 10.1 first time after installation of 12.1, while this is nothing to worry about).
0 Kudos