Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20795 Discussions

Use PLL between the dedicated clock input pin and output pin.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using the cyclone II series, and my global clock(32M,input_clk) is inputed by a dedicated clock input pin(clk0).  

Now I need a clock which is 4MHz divided by input_clk, and output it to a dedicated clock output pin(PLL1_out)。 

What can I do? I try to use a PLL, but it doesn't work, said:"Post divider max count exceeded".  

Any advice? Thank you!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right out of my head the slowest clock a cyclone II pll can generate is ~12MHz 

plls in cyclone ii devices (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc2/cyc2_cii51007.pdf)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The restriction is in the VCO frequency range and maximum divider count of 32. You have to use a post divider in logic. If a specific output timing is required for the output, you can supply the post divider with a phase shifted clock and adjust for the extra delay. The slightly increased jitter and timing inaccuracy shouldn't matter that much at 4 MHz.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The restriction is in the VCO frequency range and maximum divider count of 32. You have to use a post divider in logic. If a specific output timing is required for the output, you can supply the post divider with a phase shifted clock and adjust for the extra delay. The slightly increased jitter and timing inaccuracy shouldn't matter that much at 4 MHz. 

--- Quote End ---  

I forgot to mention that I use the LVDS I/O standand on both the input clock and output clock. When I put a divider between the PLL and output pin, an error happened: Pin "clkout" with LVDS I/O standard must be driven by the external clock output of an enhanced PLL".  

What's the solution? I totally have no idea.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's easy in this case, because Cyclone II has no real LVDS driver. You must use a resistor network at the output to achieve a correct LVDS level anyway. For a slow 4 MHz output, it's no problem to use a pseudo-differential output by connecting an inverter for the inverted pin. This is the only way to get a differential output at the dedicated clock output pins without driving it from the PLL.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's easy in this case, because Cyclone II has no real LVDS driver. You must use a resistor network at the output to achieve a correct LVDS level anyway. For a slow 4 MHz output, it's no problem to use a pseudo-differential output by connecting an inverter for the inverted pin. This is the only way to get a differential output at the dedicated clock output pins without driving it from the PLL. 

--- Quote End ---  

To FvM: 

Actually,I don't need a LVDS clock output, but my input clock already use the LVDS standand, and the output pin was assigned in the same I/O bank, so I have to set the output pin with LVDS standand.  

In this situation, what can I do?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

so I have to set the output pin with LVDS standand 

--- Quote End ---  

Generally, not. You have to use the same I/O voltage and you have to keep some distance rules, but you can use different I/O standards in a bank.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

O, thank you, FvM. 

I set the output pin to 2.5V independantly, and it worked.
0 Kudos