Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20752 Discussions

Using nCONFIG pin in Stratix V to prevent POR event

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

It is well-known that at the beginnig of a FPGA powering-up sequence there is an inrush current. So, it is written in the stratix v device handbook that power should ramp-up monotonically without any plateaus to avoid POR event. But due to this big initial current there occurs some spikes on a power rail output (for example a PoL DC-DC). It can cause some instability in ramping-up of the power and as a sequence POR event appearing. Conventionally, this inrush current is made monotonic by output capacitors and inductors.  

But recently I have found in the stratix v device handbook p8-5 this text  

--- Quote Start ---  

Power up all the power supplies that are monitored by the POR circuitry. All power supplies, includingVCCPGM and VCCPD, must ramp up from 0 V to the recommended operating voltage level within theramp-up time specification. Otherwise, hold the nCONFIG pin low until all the power supplies reach therecommended voltage level. 

--- Quote End ---  

So, does it mean that I can hold down nCONFIG until all desired voltage level is reached to avoid getting POR event? Does it mean that I can remove most of the capacitors between a point-of-load and Vcc pins? 

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can kept holding the nCONFIG low until all the power supply reach to the desired voltage level. This will prolong the FPGA device in reset mode. Once reaching the voltage level just release the nCONFIG to high to start the configuration.

0 Kudos