Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20767 Discussions

error: can't place multiple pins assigned to pin location

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Pin planner, i run "start i/o pin analysis"(compile), and i receive an error "error: can't place multiple pins assigned to pin location" but on the list, there I only assigned 1 "node name" to that "location", as well as keep all other pins not assigned. 

i attached a screen shot. 

any help?
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus is automatically assining the ~ALTERA_ASDO_DATA1~ to that pin.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i see that in the error log, so the working solution is i leave the location blank for those nodes, and fill in the rest of the locations for all the other nodes that Quartus isnt automatically assigning?? 

how can i have quartus not auto assigning these pins? Quartus is currently only autoassigning 4 pins out of the dozens of pins im using.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ahh i got it... its in the SOPC builder "EPCS seial flash controller" settings, the configuration section.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you select a configuration scheme, Quartus automatically and transparently assigns the pins. In your case, it's the 4 signals needed by Active Serial configuration. 

If you want to access the EPCS for other things than configuration, there's a special feature. 

In any case, you don't even need to have those 4 signals in your top level module. 

Unless you want to connect custom logic to the AS interface pins -- not sure if it's even possible.
0 Kudos
ARodr45
Beginner

Hellow, I got a similar issue but in my case the pin was dual purpuse, so I keep looking for answers and found this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06252012_419.html

may be helpful for someone who had my problem related with yours

0 Kudos