Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20892 Discussions

niosv-download utility unable to download the Nios® V processor application ELF file

Meisam
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to implement HDMI IP Design Example in Quartus Prime Pro v24.1. 

I got an error during this step:

10. Download the software .elf file using the Nios2 Terminal

When I enter this command in Nios Shell:

niosv-download /home/meisam/intelFPGA_pro/Projects/HDMI_Nios/hdmi_0_example_design/software/tx_control/tx_control.elf -g -r -i 1

This error occurred:

INFO: Generating OpenOCD config file. Running "openocd-cfg-gen --instance=1 /tmp/tmpmipe93nw/niosv.cfg".
There are no devices with valid Nios V instance(s)
ERROR: Failed to generate OpenOCD config file.

I found this solution but as mentioned in this article, the patches are related to version 21.3 and 21.4. At the end of the article it is mentioned that "This problem is fixed starting from Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition Software version 22.1."

Would you please assist me on this?

Regards,

Meisam

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Could you try using the nios2 download command instead of the niosV?

nios2-download / software/tx_control/tx_control.elf -g -r -i 1 

Just take not to close your nios uart terminal before downloading the nios2 elf.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Could you try using the nios2 download command instead of the niosV?

nios2-download / software/tx_control/tx_control.elf -g -r -i 1 

Just take not to close your nios uart terminal before downloading the nios2 elf.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Meisam
Beginner

Hi Jingyang,

Your solution solved the problem, but I still have two questions.

1. I programmed the board with the SOF file and opened the Nios II terminal, following the instructions mentioned in the example manual. However, I couldn't see any output in the terminal or on the monitor. I used a Quantumdat M21 as a data generator (and analyzer), but nothing happened. Do you have any recommendations?

2. Is it possible to do this example with Quartus Pro 24.1 and Nios V? I tried following the manual, but I couldn't execute niosv-download in that version, so I reverted to version 23.4.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

After flashing the sof, you will need to reflash the niosII elf file through the nios2-download command again.

Yes you could, use the latest flow.

Please note that in the latest flow in 24.1 it is using the niosV processor.

The niosV processor is a newer soft processor compared to the niosII.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Do you have any follow up question for this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome to reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 4 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos