Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCarr18
Beginner

type mismatch for generic 'integer_values' (Mixed language design)

Hello, 

I have a mixed-language design where I would like to instantiate a VHDL module in a Verilog file. The module has the following definition:

entity vhdl_module is generic ( integer_values: work.vectors_and_arrays.integer_vector(7 downto 0) := (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)   ); port( -- list of ports ); end vhdl_module;

The vector definition is as simple as follows:

type integer_vector is array (natural range <>) of integer;

and my instantiation is:

vhdl_module #( .integer_values({0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}) ) I_vhdl_module ( //port connections );

hat does not work and trying something like 32'd0 or 1'd0 instead of just 0 did not work any better. What I want to do is simply passing an integer value so I guess the solution must be rather simple, but I did not find it yet. By the way, the VHDL module works fine in a VHDL design where I instantiate it like that:

integer_values => (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)

So I guess I just need to find the right way to pass an integer value...

Thanks in advance!

Regards, 

javichu

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Javier, I feel, It may not be available in Verilog since you are using array of integers. Could you please check it in system Verilog? Regards, Vikas
JCarr18
Beginner

Hi Vikas,

How can I switch my verilog file to System Verilog? is there any way to define a code section as System Verilog (i.e. the module instantiation)? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Javi

Vicky1
Employee

Hi Javi, Please create new System Verilog HDL file & copy& paste the current .v file in to it as below, File-> New -> System Verilog HDL File. You can use "Save as.." option & remove the .v file from the project. module instantiation will be same as Verilog. Regards, Vikas
JCarr18
Beginner

Hi @Vicky​ ,

thanks for your reply. I tried that solution but I got the same error. I guess the conversion I am trying to achieve is not supported so I am thinking about a different solution... How could I pass a single integer from Verilog to a VHDL module? would it be as simplre as for example ".integer_param(5)"? then I could modify my VHDL block to get all the integer parameters separately.

Thanks again,

Javi