Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2077 Discussions

Boot Device Not Found on HP Notebook

Mar_Komus
Beginner

The specific Notebook is an HP ENVY 17m-Ce1013dx with an Intel Optane model HBRPEKNX0202AH installed as the sole boot, system, and storage solution. As I understand Intel's RST, this means something along the lines that the memory works in a RAID 0 like arrangement with the onboard SSD to create something like a virtual disk in the memory.

What has happened is that when the unit is powered on, I get the message, "Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk. Hard Disk (3F0)."

I posted this issue to HP's community forum found here, but have had no success. Seeing that the technology is outside HP's scope, I don't expect to see an answer other than, "Ask Intel." Fair enough.

As detailed in that thread, I walked through all the non-destructive steps as I'd like to recover the data.

Does Intel have a process I can go through--third party or otherwise--that will help me recover data from the partition?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Mar_Komus  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will do my best to assist you here. 

Please be aware that we only provide the Intel® RST driver and the console. With that in mind, how many drives does the laptop have? How was created the RAID 0 (BIOS/Intel® RST)? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Mar_Komus
Beginner

Hi, Jocelyn

Thanks for taking the time to address this.

When I opened up the laptop, the only drive inside was the Optane module in question. As for how it came to be, I don't know. I presume it shipped that way from the manufacturer (HP). When I looked at the product page for it and drilled down to the Product Specifications page found here, I found that, indeed, this model is specified to have shipped with only one SSD, though the page is rather generic about it (it doesn't specify that it's an Intel Optane Memory H10 with Solid State Storage).

There is a generic Illustrated Parts page found here that shows the possibility of a 2.5" drive being connected, but there wasn't even a ribbon cable in the specific model in my possession.

The BIOS does have a section for changing the module from RAID to AHCI, but in order to do that, of course, you lose the data on the drive.

I've seen HP describe Intel's configuration of this as, "RAID-like," in this link here. So it appears to me that the SSD to which the Optane memory is yoked is the onboard SSD this module carries.

Intuitively, my next thought was to install Windows on an SSD through the SATA circuitry, but there is no ribbon or SATA connector available. A thought I just had: perhaps I could install Windows to the SSD on a host machine and then boot it on the laptop via USB adapter. Windows might shed a tear or two that it has to change drivers or boot from USB, but if I can get it to boot, then I might be able to install the driver and console. Don't know if I'll be able to fix the drive, but it might be worth the shot.

In the meanwhile, I'll look forward to any insights you might have. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Mar_Komus  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please provide us with an Intel® SSU report so we can check more information about your system. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Mar_Komus
Beginner

Thank you, Jocelyn M.

I was able to install a live version of Windows on an SSD-to-USB connection using Microsoft's own native Windows To Go feature. I tried installing Intel's Rapid Storage Technology, but when it found the Optane memory, it couldn't register it, saying that it needed a later chipset. Kind of odd to me.

Be that as it may, it seems the Optane Memory portion of the package is inaccessible and therefore irrecoverable. The SSD portion had all of everything except user data (which must have been on the Optaine Memory part--now, as far as I can tell, completely lost).

Regarding the SSU report: I'm afraid I came back to this thread a little too late. I've already shutdown the installation I had and wiped that drive and am moving onto overwriting and simply using the Optane device as a solid state drive, leaving the Optane Memory package unused--unless you believe there's a way to recover user data from the Optane Memory part? I haven't attempted to install anything to the Optane device just yet. Is there any hope of recovering user data from the Optane Memory--perhaps by mounting it somehow?

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Mar_Komus    

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Mar_Komus  

Thank you for the information provided,  

Please be aware that it would be possible to recover the information if you had a RAID 1 or RAID 5 configured, otherwise, it's not possible to recover it and, as we understand from previous information provided about the laptop, it seems you have an Intel Optane H10 configuration instead of a RAID.

For this reason, this thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need further assistance, feel free to contact us back and submit a new post. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos