Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Boot error "abnormal status reported by rapid storage technology uefi driver"

BB12388
Beginner

Hi

I have a Win 10 PC with Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z590 MB, NvME SSD Main Disk with O/S , SATA SSD storage and a HDD Raid 0 Config for storage. 

The PC completed some Windows Updates in the last few days and subsequently I get this error message on startup/POST and it will not boot to Windows afterwards, I'm assuming the Windows updates may have generated the conflict, though one of the Raid 0 HDD's seems to be no longer detected in the RAID, so it may have failed or some conflict developed and that's the cause, though I don't know why that would prevent the machine from booting as the RAID isn't the boot drive, BIOS screenshots attached. 

Suggestions on a fix that doesn't involve wiping all my drives are welcome. I can get to the BIOS and see and change the config if necessary. The RAID is regularly backed up so breaking it is an option. 

Thanks and Merry Christmas

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. 

We will do further research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution to this scenario. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello BB12388, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on the case, we just wanted to confirm if the Intel® RST driver version was already updated with the manufacturer?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for the updates, currently I cannot boot the system into Windows so I can't run the Windows version of the SSU software, perhaps I could boot on a USB stick with Linux installed to run that version, but I'm not sure that would work

Regards

BB12388

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is a Linux version as well: Intel System Support Utility for Linux.

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello BB12388, I just wanted to check if you have the chance to provide the Linux SSU, as suggested by N. Scott Pearson, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Hi, 

I haven't had a chance to do this yet, will do so in 1-2 days

Regards

B

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

i'm struggling to run the SSU software under a ubuntu boot usb drive I made as it asks for root user access

any advice appreciated

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi BB12388, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

No problem at all. Take your time and once you get the chance please provide the SSU report, so we can further assist you with this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, Thank you very much for your response.

Did you use the following link?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

Do you have the option to install Ubunto on the device and then run the SSU report?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Hi and thanks for the replies

I'm running Ubuntu from the USB stick, if I install it in the actual PC I guess it will disturb/destroy my Windows installation ?

Regards

Brian

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi BB12388, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

In that case, I will double-check to see if there is any other option in order to gather the SSU report since that information is necessary for us to be able to further asist you.

As soon as I get any updates, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello BB12388, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this matter, we just wanted to check, what were the way or the steps that you used to create the RAID?

Did you use the drivers proved by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer?

Or, did you build it through the BIOS?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

Its been awhile since I did it, so I'm struggling to remember how I did it, but I'm pretty sure it was using the IRST software interface. (I think the user interface is Optane software right ?)

I have been trying a few different options to fix it in the meantime. I tried a Windows restore disk and got errors pertaining to the original message

One question I have is that I do have an option to turn off the IRST in the BIOS and as I have a recent backups of the raid, I'm wondering if turning it off would allow me to boot the PC from the NVME boot drive or whether that would drive would be affected by turrning off IRST in BIOS as well, even if the raid is broken that's ok as I can re-build it from backups  

Regards

Brian

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi BB12388, Thank you very much for confirming that information.

I will do further research in reference to your question and provide the updates as soon as they become available.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Thanks for your support

I managed to use a WIn10 Boot Disc to see if I can fix the installation but so far no luck, attached are some error logs. 

I'm exploring if I can re-install windows without deleting all my apps and personal data, as I don't see many options. 

I can see my boot drive (nvme) and storage drive (ssd) are fine, and the raid is recently backed up, only issue now is what data I may lose in the Win 10 re-install and whether it will do so without wiping the install drive

Regards

Brian 

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

I re-installed Win 10 but still getting the same error, even after doing all Windows updates, the only thing I haven't done so far is update the BIOS. 

I updated the IRST drivers and tried to install Optane and the system hung again and I had to repeat the whole process from start

I ran the SSU - logs attached

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

BB12388, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

While we are still working on this matter, as per the SSU report and BIOS images provided, the system is just detecting three drives. Two of them are Non-RAID devices and the size for the one he has is 3 TB, however, the RAID 0 was created with 5.4 TB. Based on that, it seems there is an additional drive not being detected, causing the RAID 0 Failed report. 

Is there any way that you can confirm those details about a drive not being detected?

The boot issues you are describing should not be related to the RAID at all since the RAID does not include the Samsung* boot drive you are currently using.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
BB12388
Beginner

Hi Albert

You are right, the RAID is not detected, nor is the other SSD I have, but maybe that's because of the ongoing issue with IRST, which frustratingly is persisting despite re-installing Windows

Regards

Brian

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi BB12388, Thank you very much for confirming that information.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get more details, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello BB12388, I Just received an update on this matter.

The drive not being detected by the BIOS and OS is not related to Intel® RST, this looks like a hardware issue. Is it possible for you to test another drive in the same connector as the one not being detected and this drive in a different port? This is to rule out a defective drive or faulty port on the board itself.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos