Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Can I enable Smart Response without clearing my disks?

XNie1
Beginner

I have a hard disk and a Samsung SSD. I installed Rapid Storage software, but I can't see any options to enable Smart Response. I turned on RAID in Bios. But the system can't start, it asks me to setup RAID. I selected RAID0, and it showed all content in the disk will be cleared. So I quitted.

My mother board is Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2. CPU is i7 7700k.

How can I enable Smart Response without clearing my data?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

niexuchina: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best to try to provide the information you are looking for.

First of all we recommend to back up any important information located on the drives. Remember that the proper way to install the operating system will be to set the SATA mode to RAID on the BIOS and then after that install Windows for the PC to work properly.

To better assist you, we just need to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the RAID report and a screen shot of disk management:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
XNie1
Beginner

I attached the system report.

I'm currently using AHCI mode of SATA. Does it mean I have to switch to RAID and reinstall my system?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

niexuchina: Thank you very much for providing the report. Correct, in order to be able to use a RAID configuration, you will need to change the SATA mode to RAID first and the re-install Windows from scratch.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
XNie1
Beginner

Thanks.

I'd better stay with Microsoft ReadyBoost.

If I buy an Optane SSD, do I still have to reinstall my system?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

niexuchina: You are welcome. Yes, the re-installation of Windows from scratch will still be needed.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
XNie1
Beginner

Thanks.

If I want to switch to RAID to enable Smart Response, which RAID mode should I choose? I have a 2TB hard disk and a 512GB SSD. The best result I want is that a portion of SSD is used as cache to boost the whole 2TB hard disk, and the rest space of SSD can still be used as normal volume. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

niexuchina: You are very welcome. Yes, it is possible, first set the SATA mode to RAID, then install Windows and then the Intel® RST tool, once you do that, you need to enable acceleration by choosing that option on the application. Make sure the space of the SSD is totally unallocated, once you enable the acceleration feature, after that, you can always get into disk management and create the partition for the SSD. The max size for acceleration is 64GB:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005501/boards-and-kits.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005501/boards-and-kits.html

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
XNie1
Beginner

Great.

Just one more question.

After switching from SATA to RAID, there is a message reminding me to setup RAID. I enter it, and I need to choose RAID0, or RAID1, or something else. According to your explanation, it seems this setup should be skipped. Right? I should switch to RAID, and then install my system, forget the RAID0 or RAID1 thing. Right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

niexuchina: Sure, in regard to your question, normally when you change the SATA mode you just get the option for RAID, there is no RAID 0 or RAID 1, but this could be a feature of the motherboard.

Could you please provide a screen shot of when you get that message?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
XNie1
Beginner

I don't see the setup page letting me choose RAID mode now. So it should be due to different BIOS versions. And unfortunatly, I broke my system. The new BIOS doesn't show the warning clearly enough.

I'm trying to install my system under RAID now.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

niexuchina: You are very welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos