Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2109 Discussions

Can not delete RAID 0 on Acer Nitro 5

Cbravo71
Beginner

I have ACER NITRO AN517-55, with two Samsung SSD 1TB each, and I configured them as RAID 0 because I wanted just one volume.  The configuration didn't work because Windows sees them as one large disk, with two partitions that can't be joined.

So I want to delete de RAID 0, but when I use de Memory and Storage Software, I don't get the option of deleting the RAID (See pic).

And it seems that the ACER NITRO (at least mine) doesn't have the option fo Ctrl+I, nor in the BIOS.

What else can I do to delete the RAID?  thank you.No Option for Delete RAIDNo Option for Delete RAID

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just so I understand, you created a RAID array... and then what? If you created two volumes within this array, then you are stuck with them until you delete them. If, on the other hand, you created two partitions within a single encompassing volume, you can do anything with these partitions that you could do with two partitions on a single physical drive. I thus don't see what the problem is.

As for getting rid of a RAID array, I have always done this via the BIOS; either the BIOS will expose the standard RST OpROM (CTRL-I) facility or it will expose a scene for doing this kind of operation within its BIOS Setup program. Unfortunately, I do not have an Acer machine that will allow me to look at their BIOS Setup program, so I can't point you to it.

...S

0 Kudos
Cbravo71
Beginner

Thank you Scott for replying.  I'll answer you both comments

First, I made the RAID 0 because I wanted to have one big 2 TB volume (C:) with both disk (instead of having C: & drives 1 TB each).

As you can see from the attached image, after doing the Intel RAID 0, WIndows sees one big drive.One big drive with several partitionsOne big drive with several partitions

The circled part is the other SSD hard drive.  The point is, I can't not do anything with that partition, just create another volume (D: Drive), so I will end with what I DID NOT WANTED (C: & volumes) . I can't not "merge" the UNALLOCATED partition with C: partition, because there is the "Recovery Partition" between them.

As I later discovered (too late) is that I could have made both drives Dynamic in Windows, and could have created a SPANNED DYNAMIC Drive, and I could have achieved what I wanted, without needing a RAID 0.

As per the Deleting de RAID part, there is no F*** WAY (pardon my french, I am a bit frustrated now) to delete the RAID in the BIOS, no CTRL+I option, no option in BIOS, and in the Memory & Storage Management App, ther is no option of deleting it, as you can see from the image I uploaded in the original post (anyways, why is it that I don't get the option to delete? It is not documented anywhere!!!)

I hope you get it clearer.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I see. The problem here is that you used cloning software to restore your Windows installation onto the drive. I can only suggest: don't do that. Do a from-scratch installation of Windows onto the RAID drive.

As I said, since I don't have an Acer PC on which to investigate this, I can only suggest that you ask Acer where they have exposed the capability. As for the MAS tool, I will defer to Intel Customer Support regarding what this tool is doing wrong.

...S

0 Kudos
Cbravo71
Beginner

Thank you @n_scott_pearson for your interest. 

What I ended up doing is what you suggested, a new installation of Windows from scratch.  It recognized my RAID 0 as just one drive, so now I have what I wanted, a 2 TB (more or less) C: drive.

As per why the MAS tool doesn't allow the delete option, probably we will never know... and why this ACER model doesn't have the option to remove RAID (it doesn't even let me select drives mode, like AHCI, SATA, or RAID) , we will never know either.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Cbravo71

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management UI, I will be glad to help you further.

Based on the steps performed so far and information provided, I will research more about this issue and as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Cbravo71
Beginner

Thank you @Steven_Intel.

It will be interesting to know why the Optane Memory&Storage Mgmt UI didn't let me delete the RAID drive, but at least I could get what I wanted (after a Windows 11 re-installation).

As per the steps, I just started the Optane UI, and selected the option of making RAID 0 with 2 identical Samsung 1 TB NVM drives, and the software did it pretty straight forward, with no problems at all.

best regards.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Cbravo71,

I just want to confirm if the issue is solved after the OS installation. If not, please provide the steps you took to create the RAID.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Cbravo71
Beginner

Everything is working fine as it is.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.

Since the issue was solved after the Windows installation, and checking the steps you took to create the RAID, it is hard to tell why you were unable to delete the RAID now, considering we cannot troubleshoot the issue.

As for now, we will proceed to close this thread. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos