Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Can't Access Data on RAID1 Volume with Missing HDD

Ponteaus
Beginner

I just received a diskless NAS for Christmas and am attempting to migrate the disks in my gaming tower to this new system. The gaming tower has 1x128GB SSD, 2x500GB HDD, and 2X4TB HDD. C: colume is on the SSD and will remain. F: volume (files) is on the HDDs and needs to migrate. Each pair of HDDs is in a RAID1 configuration.

My migration plan was:

1. Remove one HDD from each RAID pair and install in NAS

2. Copy data from tower to NAS over network (assuming NAS wouldn't recognize data on disks)

3. Remove second HDD from each pair and install in NAS

4. Switch NAS to RAID

However, upon removing the first 4TB disk, Intel Rapid Storage Technology program immediately marked this RAID volume as failed (huh? It's RAID1, the data's still on the remaining disk), and Win10 will no longer allow me access to F: (makes sense since Intel is claiming the underlying RAID volume is failed).

To attempt recovery, I removed the HDD from the NAS and reinstalled it in the tower (same SATA port as before). RST is marking it as a 0GB drive and refusing to do anything with it. Anything I do to try and create a volume or delete a volume or whatever warns that data on the disk will be lost. I've tried this from both the Win10 program version of RST and the interrupt boot-up version of RST. How do I get this software to realize there's good data on the remaining drive?

My data is backed up to Backblaze, so data loss isn't a concern, but I don't want to download a TB of backup data just to fix this. The data is there and good!

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Ponteaus, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

Is this a new computer?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Which Intel® RST version is currently installed?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Ponteaus, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Ponteaus, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos