Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Can't check for disk acceleration with SATA

CFort3
Beginner

I just bought a Dell G3 15 with a SATA and I've been getting pretty poor disk performances. When I open intel RST it tells me that my system is Optane Ready but that I don't have the module installed.

Everywhere I checked they have an "Acceleration" tab where you can see if the SSD part is being used to accelerate the HD but instead I have the Intel Optane tab, for which I don't have the hardware. (Your system is Optane ready but no module were detected)

I have pretty long startup times and have been experiencing issues in gaming related to poor disk reading times. This is a new PC with amazon return policy expiring in 3 days, so I would like to know if it is an error on their part or if I have to install software to get actual acceleration on my SATA.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should be using Dell for support. They are solely responsible for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
CFort3
Beginner

As this is a problem with RST software they aren't being very helpful.

I've done a fair bit of research in the meantime and I simply do not have access to acceleration since apparently my SSHD was badly partitioned by the seller.

When I check my Disk Manager I only have one disk, with partitions C : (929.77Gb) being used at around 50%, a (Disk 0 partition 1) 650MB partition which is 100% free and labeled EFI system partition and WINRETOOLS which is used at 58%.

I just want to know how I have to partition my SSHD for RST caching acceleration to work properly. Dell support tells me to reinstall windows which I shouldn't have to do.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
CFort3, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In this case, you are getting that error message because the laptop is Intel® Optane ready but there is no Intel® Optane module installed. Since you are using a hybrid drive, SSHD, in order to get the "Acceleration" tab that you are referring to, you need to install the Intel® RST version 15.9, that was the last version with that feature available. Please uninstall the current Intel® RST version, reboot the laptop and install version 15.9: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28656/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
CFort3, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
CFort3, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos