Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

'Create' not showing in Intel RST application menu

Elie
Novice

Hi - I'd like to setup RAID 1 on my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. I purchased the WD SSD and WD HHD 2TB drives. In the BIOS I made sure it has been set to RAID.

I tried first by installing Window 10 PRO on the SSD, then I physically added the HHD. I ran RTS application from Windows, but I didn't see the option [create]. When that failed, I tried to install both drives, then I reinstalled Windows, but still don't see [create] in the menu. 

Please see attachments.

***Your insight is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
This should be ok -- provided the SSD is also a SATA device. You cannot create an array that has a mix of device interfaces. For example, you cannot form an array containing a NVMe SSD and a SATA HDD.
...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Elie, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. 

Based on the information showing in the RAID report, we can confirm that the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version currently installed is 17.0. Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the application tested and validated in this case by Dell since it was customized to work with your specific platform.

I looked in Dell's website and the version of Intel® RST they have available there is version 16.8.3.1004, A06. Please uninstall the current version and try to install Dell's version to confirm if you can create the RAID 1 that way:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-cr/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2pmt8&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-8910-desktop

If the problem persists then once again uninstall the application and install Intel® RST version 14.8, once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Elie, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Elie
Novice

Hi Albert - Sorry for the late reply. I followed your suggestions to a T, unfortunately I'm ending up with the same issue. Perhaps it's got to do with trying to create RAID 1 using SSD and HDD. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
This should be ok -- provided the SSD is also a SATA device. You cannot create an array that has a mix of device interfaces. For example, you cannot form an array containing a NVMe SSD and a SATA HDD.
...S
0 Kudos
Elie
Novice
You are absolutely correct. That's what I was attempting to do for days, now I'm sure why I couldn't combine NVMe and SATA HHD.
Thank you for your support.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are welcome.

Intel really needs to revisit the documentation for RST. I have been saying for a great many years (both as an employee and after retiring) that engineers should not be responsible for generating documentation. In general, they suck at it. They need to be using professional technical writers who will both properly (and clearly!) document everything and ask the hard questions of the engineers that need to be answered so that the documentation can be clear. This means having the writers involved throughout the project. In fact, nothing should be designed without the writers already involved.

Sigh!

...S

0 Kudos