Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Dell XPS8700 RST Issues after Restore

DHoll4
Beginner

Hopefully someone can assist me with the following:

I had to do a Factory Restore on my XPS 8700 which went fine except that I now have an alert showing in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. I really don't understand it and need some guidance. RST is stating:

1. The Windows write-cache buffer flushing policy can be enabled for all RAID array drives to ensure data integrity or disabled to improve data performance. I am unsure if I have to do anything here and, if so, what?
  2. Sata SSD on Controller 0, Port 5: Incompatible. I read what that means (volume moved to another system that does not support the volume type and configuration), however I have not added or removed anything from my system since it was shipped to me. I am at a loss as to what I have to do and am only guessing at what it means.

My storage drives (as shipped) are:

• 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive + 32GB mSATA Solid State Drive
  • (1 x SSDR, 32, S3, MCARD, SAMSUNG, CM851 )
  • (2 x SCREW, M2X3, K SCREW HEAD, MISCROSOFT, BLACK OXIDE)
  • (1 x HARD DRIVE, 2T, S3, 7.2K, 512E, SGT-GRDABP2 )

I did not have any issues with RST before the factory restore. I am attaching screen shots hoping someone can help me with this before I continue restoring back to Win 10 and reinstating my files.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hollies,

I understand you are getting some problems with Intel® Rapid Storage after restoring back to factory settings. I will take a look at this type of incompatibility issue with the Intel® Rapid Storage and the SSD.

The incompatible message may appear after restoring the computer because the SSD was cached.

You had to disable cache or smart cache in order to proceed with the restore.

You need to try low-level format on the SSD (32GB) in order to leave the drive as unallocated. After this, you need to check the performance tab using the Intel® Rapid Storage and enable Smart cache or cache mode.

Additionally, try using drive diagnostic tool from your drive manufacturer since you are getting an error message about data at risk. This might be a problem with the SSD.

Hope it helps.

Allan J.

0 Kudos
DHoll4
Beginner

I can't do a low level format on the SSD as it no longer appears anywhere except in IRST.

0 Kudos
DHoll4
Beginner

I think I have sorted it out. I believe you were correct in that I had to disable the cache before I did a factory restore. It would be helpful, not to mention save a lot of hair pulling, if that was mentioned in the instructions of a factory restore! I did not see it mentioned once.

I had to go into the BIOS and change the controller mode for the SSD from AHCI to SATA. The IRST then recognised the drive correctly. However, it said the accelerated disk was not accessible and the performance no longer optimized.

So I disassociated the cache and then I reset the SSD and selected to accelerated it.

Not sure if that is the correct method, but I now have ticks everywhere in the IRST and the Current Status says all is normal (as per attached).

Thanks for helping me to at least head in a particular direction Allan J.

0 Kudos