Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2063 Discussions

Disk replacement in RAID 5 fails

JohnD-1980
Beginner

Hello!

I had a RAID 5 with 3x ST16000VE000-2L2103. It was running for about 2-3 years but the last month the 2nd disk of the array failed.  

I checked the failed disk on another PC with SeaTools and was completely unreadable.

So I replaced it with an new disk. ST16000VE000-2L2103 isn't available in the market and I used a more recent model from the same series: ST16000VE002-3BR101.

I tried to rebuilt the array but it failed.

I destroyed the array, I recreated it but it failed again and again...

The app also crashed after some tries.

Driver was at v17.9.0.1007 and I updated it to v18.31.6.1039 but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

The specs look identical in Product Manuals:

Book.fm (seagate.com)

SkyHawk AI +Rescue 512E-12TB-16TB-18TB Product Manual (seagate.com)

Motherboard: Z490M GAMING X (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JohnD-1980

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with the Intel® RST, I will gladly assist you here. 

1. How did you create the RAID5? Via BIOS or Intel® RST? 
  2. Did you verify already any changes in BIOS configuration with the Motherboard manufacturer? 
  3. Did you verify that you have the latest Intel RST driver? This is provided by your Motherboard Manufacturer. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
JohnD-1980
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn, thank you for the response.

1. Initially, the RAID5 must have been created via BIOS (I always do that.). This time I tried both ways with the same result.

2. No, not yet. But can you clarify please? What changes do you refer to?

3. As I wrote in the first post yes but now I see they have added a more recent driver (18.7.0.1002)

By the way, can you remind me please how much time is normally expected for a new RAID5? (3x 16TB HDD). I have the impression that it was fast but I may be wrong.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JohnD-1980

Thank you for the information provided. 

1. If you created the RAID 5 via BIOS, have you checked this issue with the Manufacturer? We can help you regarding the Intel RST end, but the issue might be beyond the tool. 
  2. If there is a recent driver, update it to the latest version and you can try again.
  3. By changes, I mean changes made by the Manufacturer in the BIOS that could affect the RAID performance. 
  4. It will depend on the drive, chipset, and processor. However, I can tell it took us 7 hours to create a RAID 5 with 3 x 512 GB, if this helps you as a reference. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JohnD-1980
Beginner

Hi, thank you for the reply, I will check it with the first opportunity. I will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JohnD-1980

Thank you for letting me know. I will wait for your updates. 

Have a nice day. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JohnD-1980

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JohnD-1980 

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos