Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Error Installing RST 16.8.3.1003 Error Code 1603

Xenophon
Beginner

Hello,

I accidentally installed RST version 17.9.1.1009 on my Windows 10 machine upgrading from 16.8.3.1003. When I attempted to install the 16.8.3.1003 version I was given an error stating a newer version was installed and I could not downgrade. I checked the IntelRST.log and found entries stating it was finding drivers that were a higher version. I went into Device Manager and I rolled back the drivers for Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller, Intel NVMe Controller under Storage Controllers and then under Software Components I rolled back the driver for Intel Pinning Shell Extensions. All of these drivers were at the 17.9.1.1009 level and they rolled back to 16.8.3.1003. Now when I run the installer for RST 16.8.3.1003 it still tells me that a newer version of RST is installed. When I check the logs now it just states its aborting install due to error code 1603. Can anyone help me out here? Is there somewhere else the installer checks for the version of the drivers? What else do I need to do to re-install RST 16.8.3.1003 on my system? I attached a snippet of the Intel logs on this posting.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information provided @Xenophon. Once the driver is installed it goes to the OS core, it's not possible to completely uninstall or roll back to a previous RST driver because of that. This seems to be the case right now so you have the following options:

1. Go back to a previous Restore Point on Windows 10*, make sure the date is before you installed the 17.9.1.1009 version (If available).
  2. Reinstall Windows 10* with a new image.
  3. Try the Microsoft tool in our article "How Do I Uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) with Corrupted Windows* Registry Keys?" (the last link)

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Xenophon.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community Support forums.

We have a specialized community for Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and I will move the thread there so it can be answered as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Xenophon, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to further assist you with this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. 

For us to be able to do that, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Also, please attach the RAID report as well in the case you currently have a RAID configuration running in your system:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Xenophon
Beginner

Here is the SSU report. I do have a RAID 5 configured and running in my system however I cannot get the RAID report because I do not have the RST application running on my system as I uninstalled the 17.9.1.1009 version of it trying to downgrade back to version 16.8.3.1003. Do you really need that report? If so I can reinstall the 17 version to get it. Please let me know.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Xenophon, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

"Do you really need that report?, If so I can reinstall the 17 version to get it. Please let me know." Thank you very much for that, it is not necessary, we just wanted to verify the RAID status, so that is ok, it is not needed for the moment. Please, remember to back up any important information you might have on your computer before trying any changes in reference to the Intel® RST application and the RAID configuration.

Even though you mentioned that you already tried to roll back the drivers of the Intel® RST version 17.9.1.1009 in the Device Manager, just to make sure, did you try to manually uninstall the application from "Apps and Features" and then try to reinstall version 16.8.3.1003 from scratch?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28992/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

After checking the SSU report, we can confirm that you are using the EVGA Z270 FTW-K board. Just to let you know, I looked in EVGA's website, and actually, they have an RST version tested and validated by them that should be the proper one for your platform, it is version 15.7.0.1014. So, once you manually uninstall the Intel® RST application from "Apps and Features", as an option, you can always try to install the Intel® RST version provided by EVGA as well and confirm if that version gets installed properly in your system:

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Xenophon
Beginner

Alberto,

Yes I went into my Windows 10 Apps and Features and I uninstalled the RST version that was installed and I then tried to install the 16.8.3.1003 and it kept getting the error stating that a newer version was installed.

I am aware that EVGA's site has the 15.7.0.1014 version listed under the drivers for my motherboard however I already attempted installing that version and it was giving me the same error stating that a newer version was already installed.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information provided @Xenophon. Once the driver is installed it goes to the OS core, it's not possible to completely uninstall or roll back to a previous RST driver because of that. This seems to be the case right now so you have the following options:

1. Go back to a previous Restore Point on Windows 10*, make sure the date is before you installed the 17.9.1.1009 version (If available).
  2. Reinstall Windows 10* with a new image.
  3. Try the Microsoft tool in our article "How Do I Uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) with Corrupted Windows* Registry Keys?" (the last link)

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos