Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Expanding RAID10 volume in RSTe application

JSurb
Beginner

Hey all,

I have a client for whom we built a server a few years ago. The machine was initially built with 4x 1TB drives in a RAID10 array, but over the years they have outgrown this storage quite significantly. As such, they've opted to upgrade to 10TB drives, again in a RAID10 configuration. I swapped the drives, one at a time, and rebuilt the array to the new drives without errors. However, now comes time to expand the volume, and I don't seem to have options to do so. Official sources indicate there should be an option to increase volume size in the Volume Properties. However, no such option exists. I'd like some clarification on any of the following points:

Am I just using an outdated version of the application? This is the version provided by the motherboard manufacturer (Supermicro), that version number being 5.5.0.1360.

If I am out of date, where can I get a newer version? I can't seem to find a more up-to-date, compatible, download on Intel's website, but I may just be dense.

Is this more likely a firmware issue? I am unsure if the BIOS has ever been updated, and the RAID controller reports version 5.5.0.1334 in Windows device manager.

Do I simply have to bite the bullet, go on-site and configure this in the RAID firmware interface, rather than trying to do it from OS level, remotely, as I am now? If so, how can I best do this to minimize downtime/performance impact?

I've attached some screenshots of the current Volume Properties and Array Properties in the RSTe application for reference. Relevant system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSL-F-O

CPU: Zeon E3-1240 v6 3.7GHz

RAM: 32GB Ballistix DDR4-2400

Hard drive cage: Rosewill RSV-SATA-Cage-34

array.PNGvolume.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JSurb, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe). If we infer correctly we will like to share the following recommendations and information: 1. Is always recommended to use the RSTe versions provided by your OEM in your case SuperMicro*, this based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customization. 2. Is always recommended to have the latest version of the BIOS installed in your system. 3. Based on the “Software User Guide for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) for Windows*” (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g40440_005_rste_swug_r1_5.pdf) section 2.5.15: Online Array/Volume Capacity Expansion: Intel® RSTe provides the ability to add new drives to an existing array and expand existing volumes accordingly. This is supported only under RAID 0 and RAID 5. 4. We strongly advise you to backup all your customer information before processing any hardware or software change in the system. 5. Our recommendation is to create the new RAID 10 array using the new 10TB drives and to try to clone or move all your information to this new configuration. We advise you to open a ticket with SuperMicro* in parallel to this case in order to get further assistance related to the BIOS update, information about the compatibility of the new drives and recommendations on how to manage your RAID arrays. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JSurb, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe). If we infer correctly we will like to share the following recommendations and information: 1. Is always recommended to use the RSTe versions provided by your OEM in your case SuperMicro*, this based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customization. 2. Is always recommended to have the latest version of the BIOS installed in your system. 3. Based on the “Software User Guide for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) for Windows*” (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g40440_005_rste_swug_r1_5.pdf) section 2.5.15: Online Array/Volume Capacity Expansion: Intel® RSTe provides the ability to add new drives to an existing array and expand existing volumes accordingly. This is supported only under RAID 0 and RAID 5. 4. We strongly advise you to backup all your customer information before processing any hardware or software change in the system. 5. Our recommendation is to create the new RAID 10 array using the new 10TB drives and to try to clone or move all your information to this new configuration. We advise you to open a ticket with SuperMicro* in parallel to this case in order to get further assistance related to the BIOS update, information about the compatibility of the new drives and recommendations on how to manage your RAID arrays. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JSurb,

Greetings from Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

This is a friendly reminder your case remains open, awaiting for your reply.

Please let us know if you might need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos