Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How can I build a RST RAID with these hardware?

0hacker
Beginner

I have some hard drives that I plan to make into a RST drives. But I don't know where to start.

I plan to purchase some SATA converters and such, but I don't know if there are any requirements for RST

Hard Disks:

• 256GB SATA 2.5inch SSD
  • 320GB SATA 2.5inch HDD
  • 1T SATA 2.5inch HDD

Computer:

• Huawei Mate Book 14s
    • CPU: 11th Gen Intel Core i5-11300H @ 3.10GHz

• RAM: 16GB

• GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
    • Thunderbolt4: 2 ports
  • Raspberry Pi 3B+

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

0hacker, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, in the following link, you will find the user guide for the Intel® RST, where you will see an explanation, instructions, and requirements depending on the RAID volume that you are planning to use:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

Is it important to mention that we always advise contacting your system manufacturer directly for further assistance on this matter. Intel® recommends utilizing drivers provided by your system manufacturer/ provider or via Windows* Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel® generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design: 

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello 0hacker

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
0hacker
Beginner

If I have a problem with the process, I will contact you immediately.

0 Kudos
0hacker
Beginner

Sorry, I didn't see your last reply because I was busy. I will try to ask Huawei for information soon.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

0hacker, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Regarding this scenario, just to let you know, when using a mobile device such as a laptop, if you are planning to do modifications to it like adding drives to the computer, that might void the warranty. So, in this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Huawei support so they can provide the instructions on how to do that, confirm the warranty status of the device, and for further assistance on this matter determining if it is necessary to open the machine:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
0hacker
Beginner

Thank you for your patience, Huawei side has confirmed that this device can not use RST technology, But I still need information about the computer requirements for RST technology, could you please tell me?

0 Kudos
0hacker
Beginner

Huawei customer service staff found Huawei technical staff for me; it was determined that this notebook does not support this technology. But I still want to create similar arrays with other devices, and if necessary, I can also buy dedicated devices, do you have any recommendations?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

0hacker, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

In the document shown in the link below, you will be able to see and check the system requirements depending on the RAID volume you are planning to work with (RAID 0, 1, 5, 10) page 29. You will also find the instructions on how to set them up:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf 

Just to let you know, normally, most of the peers that created a RAID volume using various hard drives, they do it on a computer built by them, not on a mobile device such as a laptop, notebook, notepads, or any other PC computer that has a specific manufacturer. The reason for that is that the room to do customizations when using that kind of device is limited by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), most of them will not validate the warranty if the computer gets open for any reason. When you or someone that you know builds the computer, you will be able to add and remove parts, such as the hard drives, allowing you to create different RAID volumes depending on the number of drives being used. Also, you will have the option to do different customizations on it like adding a video card, memory RAM, SSDs among other parts, that is the main reason why the most common scenarios of RAID configuration is when they build the computer. Still, some mobile devices have the capability to support a RAID configuration, but in those cases, it is needed to verify that directly with the manufacturer of them.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos