Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

How do I remove your TBMT v3 software?

wrtechnopath
Beginner

Intel Support;

I'm having the similar problem with a new system.

I've tried to uninstall and reboot but the driver re-installs itself every boot.

In the BIOS there is an option for AHCI or RAID but that's the closest I can find and neither work.

I have an NVMe M.2 and a mechanical HDD but no optane memory.

Motherboard and processor are compatible but the error comes up every login.

Any other possibilities without having to dive into the registry or polices would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should never "dive into the registry or policies:.

What operating system? Windows 10? What version? 1809?

What is your processor model number?

Are you a laptop or a desktop? What model number and manufacturer?

Doc

0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

I'm familiar with registry editing which is why I avoid it.

I'm running 10v1809

I have a i9-7960X with a ASUS ROG x299 e-gaming motherboard.

It's a custom desktop by CyberPower.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
wrtechnopath, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system: What is the complete version of the TBMT loaded on the system? Could you please provide a picture of "Add/Remove Programs" to check if in fact the TBMT is installed? Did you download the program from OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) web site or from the Intel® site for TBMT? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

Alberto,

Here's an image of the software in Apps and Features

Annotation 2019-05-16 170748.png

I tried to uninstall it with no luck.

Annotation 2019-05-16 174733.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
wrtechnopath, Thank you very much for sharing the pictures. Based on the error message in the photos, it seems that the issue as you mentioned above it is actually related to the Windows* registry. For this scenario, there are two options, if the computer is working fine as it is right now and the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology is not creating any problems, you can always leave it there and continue with the regular usage of the system. The other option, in this case, will be to re-install Windows from scratch since we do not recommend to modify the Windows* registry. In the case of a possible re-installation of the operating system, we advised to back up all the important documents you might currently have saved in your computer. As an alternative, you can always get in contact directly with Microsoft to verify and confirm if there might be a tool or an application for this scenario: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
wrtechnopath, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

Alberto,

I was forced to reinstall windows 1903 due to botched software from ASUS and TBM was installed by default. I uninstalled the program and it's not showed back. Will you please inform me when you closed up the security issue about accessing the hardware directly?

Waylon

0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

After five reboots it's showed up again. Any further advice?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
wrtechnopath, Thank you for providing those results, we are sorry to hear the problem persists. What we can try now is to install the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver version 1.0.0.1031 provided by ASUS, this is in order to make sure that all the modules of the application were properly installed, then after that, try to uninstall it again. Please find the driver in the following link under "Utilities": https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ I found a link stating that there is a BIOS version that does not work properly with the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology, which BIOS version is the one install in your computer? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98483-How-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-max-technology(itmb)-3-0-driver And in reference to your question regarding, when we are going to close the security issue about accessing the hardware directly, could you please explain what do you mean by that? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

So far still no luck. When I installed the prior version it came back with an install failed error message. Annotation 2019-05-27 114122.pngI'm using the latest BIOS on a ROG STRIX x299-e gaming motherboard.

I've also tried to disable the turbo options in the BIOS and see if I can uninstall it after that, but that didn't work.

When I try to uninstall the application I get this:

Annotation 2019-05-27 120134.png

Followed by a reboot prompt. Which brings us back to the questions, what is the purpose of ITBM and why can't I remove it?

Also why is it so far into the system?

I've disabled the service (ITBM) then rebooted and still that boot-up message shows after login.

I have troubling feelings between software and hardware having such a security vulnerability.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
wrtechnopath, Thank you for letting us know those updates. Could you please provide the BIOS version currently installed in your PC? The Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 identifies the best performing core(s) on a processor and provides increased performance on those cores through increasing frequency as needed by taking advantage of power and thermal headroom. Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 frequency is the clock frequency of the CPU when running in this mode: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126697/intel-core-i9-7960x-x-series-processor-22m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html Why is it so far into the system? the application gets installed just like any other application or any other driver or program. The Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology application has no vulnerabilities, could you please explain to what are you referring to with that statement? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

Alberto,

IMG_1154.jpg

Here's a picture of my bios screen

0 Kudos
AMay01
Beginner

I think a number of things could be the cause, such as your processor model number, operating system, and some few more.

0 Kudos
wrtechnopath
Beginner

So what you're trying to say is,...... Processor is supported, OS is supported but maybe there's something else to examine. Please feel free to elaborate.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

wrtechnopath, Thank you very much for your response.

Based on the picture, as you mentioned previously, we can confirm that the latest BIOS version is already installed in your computer.

According to the information that is showing on their forums support, in the link provided previously, there are some BIOS versions that will not work properly with the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology, since ASUS is also the one the provides the driver for this feature and they can customize the features and functions on their devices as well as the BIOS settings, we recommend to get in contact directly with them to check if maybe there is a fix or another BIOS version or driver needed to address this problem:

https://www.asus.com/support/#

Additionally, there are some reports stating that the problem is actually related to the Windows* version being used because the problem does not happen with some other Windows* builds.

So, as an option, you can always get in contact with Microsoft directly to verify and confirm that information and to check if there are further suggestions on this topic.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos