Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How do I safely and effectively roll back Intel RST?

MFram
Novice

I was running Intel RST v14.8.0.1042 on Windows 7 x64 with a Samsung 840 Evo SSD. I upgraded to Intel RST v14.8.16.1063 and this has added about 10 seconds to my boot time with no visible improvement in overall performance. I would like to roll back to v14.8.0.1042 (drivers and companion GUI tools). Do I just download and run the old version's installer and reboot, and this will replace all the components? Or is there a different procedure to perform a clean, complete rollback?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to first know if you have restarted the system multiple times after the update was done. If so and it is still giving you issues then please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Also, please provide me with a system report, this report can be generated by following the steps in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

Thanks for the reply. I did reboot many times after upgrading.

Before the update, to give you an idea, the Windows 7 animated logo did not have time to form at the center of the screen before the logon screen appeared. After the update, the animated logo forms and glows for about 10 seconds before the logon screen appears.

Here are the logs.

0 Kudos
MFram
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, Thank you for your response. Since this case you are working on a computer made by Asus* and they can customize drivers to work better with your system it is highly recommended to contact them so that they can assist you in re-installing the driver but using the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology version provided by them for your system. They should be able to guide you through the process, also, remember that We supply generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the driver software or software packaging. Let me know the outcome after contacting the system manufacturer. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

I beg your pardon David, but I thought you were asking for the logs to try and identify a known cause for this boot slowdown caused by that specific version of RST. If you just wanted to know the brand of my motherboard, I could have told you right away. I am sorry but you did not address my question, which is: how do I (regardless of what hardware I am using) roll back a given version of RST to a previous one (I did not get the reference to the graphics driver by the way). I know for a fact that version 14.8.0.1042 has no issues on my system, I do not need to ask Asus. So, now that I have installed 14.8.16.1063, how do I roll back to 14.8.0.1042? Do I just run the 14.8.0.1042 setup and reboot? Or do I need to perform some manual operation? I hope that some user who has been there, done that has an actual answer or I will just try and see. I'm afraid we both wasted our time here.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, Thank you for your response. First, I would like to know if you are using Intel ® Smart Response or Acceleration? This is because, if you are using this feature, it could be this what is affecting the performance. Keep in mind that Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology by itself should not affect the performance because it helps you create and manage RAID. If you did have any of the options active, you can try re-setting it up in the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology, re-set the Intel ® Smart Response or acceleration. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

The only option I can toggle on or off in the Intel Rapid Storage application is called "Link Power Management" and it's set to Enabled. I don't see anything related to Smart Response or Acceleration.

By the way, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology storage driver supports both RAID and AHCI modes; I am using AHCI and RST does have a positive impact on performance compared to the stock Microsoft AHCI driver.

So we're back to the original question which, one again, is: what is the correct procedure to roll back the RST driver and companion application to a previous version.

0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

OK, so here is the deal. I will try to install the older driver and report back here with the results so the "community" knowledge level will increase. I am a little confused, as this was a really simple and straightforward question and this thread has had dozens of views, but no answers other than a generic corporate beating around the bush, but that's life I guess.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

Hi David.

I'd come here to ask "what is the correct procedure to roll back from v14.8.16.1063 to v14.8.0.1042". Do I need more assistance? I certainly do: I need an answer to that question. And the only acceptable answer at this point will be a list of steps to replace v14.8.16.1063 with v14.8.0.1042. Thank you in advance!

David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, Thank you for your response. In order to install the version you want you will need to first look for Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology under the settings > system > apps & features. Over there you will need to uninstall it and once it has been removed, restart your computer to fully remove it. Once done, please download the version you wanted and install it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MFram, Were you able to check my post? If you need any more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MFram
Novice

Yes, all sorted, thanks.