Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How to Uninstall Intel's Rapid Storage Technology

JTrev4
Beginner

I installed Intel's Rapid StorageTechnology and later found that I needed to restore my computer to a configuration that existed prior to the RST install. The restore attempt did not work: RST remained on my computer and I loss access to all of the data I had on my second drive.  I still have the restore point on my computer but it does not seem to be able to access my second drive. It was suggested by a non-expert that I uninstall Intel's RST and then try the restore.

Will that work?

How do I safely uninstall Intel's RST and revert to my pre-RST configuration?

At the minimum, I need to get access to my data.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No backup, eh?

What operating system and version?

Are you a laptop or desktop? Motherboard or device manufacturer/model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
JTrev4
Beginner

Desktop

Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS Build 17763.437

Intel (R) core(TM) i7-7700CPU @4.20 GHz

RAM 16.0 (15.9 usable)

64 bit operating system , 64x-based processor

MFG: Micro Electronics, Inc.

I used Zoolz for my backup and want to download to a separate computer until my RST problem is resolved.

Unfortunately, Zoolz appears to have very limited download speeds and other restrictions.

https://wiki.zoolz.com/is-there-any-limitation-with-the-upload-and-the-download-processes-of-zoolz/

I have opened a technical support request with Zoolz to get my files faster, but ideally, Intel can help me restore my pre-RST configuration.

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

I was able to download all but 41 of the files I backed up on Zoolz to an external drive. Thankfully, the total disaster I was facing can now be averted. However, my computer will still not recognize my internal (E) drive and a technician with Avast Total Support has become the second person I consulted who has suggested I ask Intel for help to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

I would also like to know why I was unable to access my question without creating a new user ID???????

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you got most of your data back.

You only posted two days ago, on a weekend. Be patient.

Doc

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

Doc.

Thank you for your note. I'll try.

The RST uninstall program that Intel provides states the following:

"The Intel RST driver that is part of this software may currently be controlling the hard drive that this computer boots from or controlling a hard drive that contains important data. Therefore, you cannot uninstall the driver. "

OUCH. I was able to recover most of my data files that were backed up. However, my program files were not part of the back up and remain at risk, including billing software that is no longer supported by its manufacturer. Intel's uninstall program appears to remove unimportant stuff, but apparently will not return my E drive to its original functionality.

During the last few days, I found the following proposed solution.

"Depends of what you did:

Case 1: Did you changed only SATA mode from AHCI to Intel RST premium with Optane mode in Bios settings?

Case 2: You did something else.

If your action is defined by Case 1, you may revert from RST mode to AHCI without losing boot, if you boot into Bios setting, before reverting to AHCI after changing Windows boot mode to SAFE.

1. In Windows press Windows key + R. In opened window write command msconfig and press OK. System Configuration should open.
  2. In Boot tab, check Safe boot and click OK. Next, confirm reboot in SAFE mode.
  3. Wait until Windows reboots and verify that SAFE mode is set.
  4. Reboot Windows again and press on F2 during boot to enter Bios settings
  5. Change SATA mode to AHCI and press F10 to save setting and exit to Windows. You will get Warning that changing SATA mode may result in losing boot. Confirm and boot into Windows.
  6. In Windows press Windows key + R. In opened window write command msconfig and press OK. System Configuration should open.
  7. In Boot tab, uncheck Safe boot and click OK. Next, confirm reboot in Normal mode.

Although I did this successfully on my computer, use this procedure on your own risk. Since you didn't backup your data, you may lose it.

If your action is defined by Case 2, you must describe in more details what you did?

The other solution and could be the safest, is to address your question to Acer support.

Leon"

Doc, this was a conversation that you participated in when you wrote:

"Al.Hill

You likely cannot revert back. I hope you had a backup of your D drive.

Doc

...and no one ever responded to the fix that was proposed.

As to my install, I did not change any of the default settings. However, I still have too much to lose by trying a fix without getting the advice of Intel experts.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JTrev4,Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. I can see that your post your comments in a different thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Jhu14/hdd-missing-after-accidentally-using-rapid-storage-technology?fromCase=1 Do you see the same problem as in that other thread and now the hard drive in the Intel® RST application is under status of "Recovery"? Did you have a RAID volume created previously? If that is the case which type of RAID were you using? Is there a RAID volume currently being in use? What is the reason why you need to do a system restore? Please provide the RAID report: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

As a service to Intel customers, like me, who lost access to all of the data on their second (internal) hard drive, here is the official answer I received in an email from Intel's technical support:

An update was made to service request @@@@@@@ on May 7, 2019

Hello @@@,

Thank you for your response and the information provided,

Based on the system report, it seems that you have a recovery drive, in this case what you need to do is to start from the scratch following the instructions below:

1. Access to CTRL - I (To know how to access the CTRL-I you need to get in contact with the original equipment manufacturer of your system )

2. Reset disks to Non RAID

3. If unable to enter CTRL I

4. Check with OEM. Possible that this is included in Bios. 

5. Access regular OS partition to set computer back to factory settings. 

To know how to access the CTRL-I you need to get in contact with the original equipment manufacturer of your system.

We have updated the subject and/or description to remove any personal information and to make the issue/request more specific.  

If you have any other question please do not hesitate in replying to this email.

Best Regards,

Josepline V. 

Me again: WOW

Any comments or suggestions?

0 Kudos
JTrev5
Beginner

Do you see the same problem as in that other thread

YES

and now the hard drive in the Intel® RST application is under status of "Recovery"?

I am not sure what I have to do to answer this question.

Intel's uninstall program for its RST was attempted -- it did not fix the problem

nor did my attempt to restore the computer to a condition prior to the date when the RST was installed.

Did you have a RAID volume created previously?

The RAID install was a mistake and was closely followed by my attempts to get rid of it.

If that is the case which type of RAID were you using?

I did not make any changes to the standard install options

Is there a RAID volume currently being in use?

Apparently, but I have tried to uninstall the RST program.

I should note that the uninstall came with a splash screen warning that seemed to pop up after it was too late to abort the uninstall

What is the reason why you need to do a system restore?

I wanted to restore my system to a condition prior to the RST install.

Please provide the RAID report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

RST has been uninstalled.

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JTrev4, Thank you very much for providing those details. The information provided previously is correct, once the drive became a recovery disk the Intel® Rapid Storage does not have a way to undo these changes and the information that was stored in there will be lost. As an option, we can always try the following steps to disable the recovery disk and to start the RAID from scratch, before attempting these steps, please back up your data. Using the Option ROM User Interface: -Restart the PC and access to CTRL - i menu, to do that press and hold the Ctrl key and tap the "i" key several times when the PC is starting up to access the menu. -Once you do that you will be able to see the status of the disks, reset disks to "Non-RAID Disk" -If for some reason the Ctrl - i does not work, then it is possible that the shortcut to access that menu on your computer is different, in that case, we recommend to get in contact with the manufacturer of the motherboard for them to provide the correct shortcut or a possible option in the BIOS. -Once you set the drives to "Non-RAID Disk" you will be able to access a regular Operating System partition to set the computer back to factory settings. Using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Interface Utility: -Run the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology UI from the following Start menu link: Start -> All Programs -> Intel® Rapid Storage Technology -> Intel® Rapid Storage Technology UI -Under ‘Status’ or ‘Manage’, click on the volume you want to delete. You will be presented with the volume properties on the left. -Click on ‘Delete volume’ -Review the warning message and click ‘Yes’ to delete the volume. -The ‘Status’ page refreshes and displays the resulting available space in the storage system view. If the problem persists after trying the steps above then the next thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of your motherboard for further assistance on this subject. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JTrev4, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JTrev4, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

Mine was a failed ASUS Support phone assist with RAID 10 Setup following the ASUS Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide steps. I was left on my own to deal with undoing it.

(At the time, I didn't know the RST platform was a software RAID and different from the RSTe platform (VROC) RAID 10 on CPU VROC key setup)

So, in the BIOS I followed the ASUS Guide steps to deleted the RAID Volume and reset the BIOS back to the AHCI mode. Then I ran the RST uninstall and got the same message about can't uninstall bla bla bla because RST may be used by other drives, whatever message. I used REVO Uninstall Program to delete all of the remaining RST files, including registry files. I'm not telling anyone to do this.

But I'm just sharing how I was able to get rid of my RST installation file problems and RAID. undone. I didn't have the problem you did though with the secondary drive being left inaccessible.

I also wasn't certain if you dealt with resetting your BIOS Settings before you uninstalled your RST or after.

I also wondered why you didn't remove the drive and migrate the content over onto another drive as a way to preserve to contents. Unless the Zools is a backup program that encodes the back up so only it can restore it. Which is why I decided to use Windows !0 mirror drive ability as my back up drives after I had a similar experience with aother backup program that failed.

I'm still search for the Intel Virtual RAID on CPU -  Intel VROC HD key Premium RSTe/ VROC support dirver/ app files. Intel link to a Win8 64bit version. Somehow, I have to believe the VROC HD Key Premium module I got has a more current RSTe/ VROC for WIN 10 64bit.

0 Kudos