Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

How to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology with Windows 10 clean install

GFun
Beginner

Hello whoever is out there who can assist me,

My Windows 10 OS running Raid-1 and an older version of Rapid Storage Manager (RST) was running fine until the OS got corrupted/infected. I decided to perform a clean install of Windows 10. However I can't seem to get the user interface display for RST ver. 14.8.0.1042 to display after reloading the OS and running CLI_x64.zip.

I am not certain that the rstcli64.exe executed...the exe seemed to progress about 3/4 of the way to completion before hanging for over 2 hours. When I walked away and came back later, I did not see the progress bar and assumed that the app finished loading. However there is no Intel app on my app menu.

I assumed that the app did not load and double clicking on the rstcli64.exe no longer brought up an installation dialogue box. So I decided to reload the OS. I downloaded f6flpy-x64.zip and placed it on a USB stick where I unzipped the file. This USB stick was inserted into a USB 2.0 port along with another USB stick containing Windows 10 pro OS.

During the clean re-install of Windows 10 pro, I noticed that at no point in the OS installation was I prompted to install the contents of f6flpy-x64.zip (did I do something incorrectly? I guess I am saying that I really don't know how to install f6flpy-x64.zip prior to installing the OS. Can you provide instructions on how to install f6flpy-x64.zip? Intel did not provide adequate instructions on how to load this file prior to loading the OS). And will properly installing f6flpy-x64.zip solve my problem of getting the user interface display for RST ver. 14.8.0.1042 to display after reloading the OS?

Please HELP. Thanks.

P.S., I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo w/ an Intel i7 3770k cpu.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
LoneWolf
Novice

There are several options you can take after Windows is already installed. Be sure that your system's BIOS is set to AHCI mode prior to install of Windows.

Option 1 - There is probably an actual Intel RST installer package .EXE that will work for you easily instead of using the .zip file.

Option 2 - Using the .zip file: Unzip the file, then open Device Manager. Find the SATA controller (it may already be listed as Intel, if not, it will be listed as a Microsoft AHCI driver), it will be a sub-item underneath "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Right-click this driver, and select "Update Driver". Choose "Browse My Computer.." and then, specify the directory you unzipped to. If Windows "finds no compatible drivers", go through the process again, but choose "Let Me Pick" and then "Have Disk" and choose the folder again. Find the correct Intel raid driver.

This step is crucial --make sure you truly have the right drivers when you are given a list. If you do not have the correct drivers, you could cause your system not to boot, so be sure. Choose the correct driver and proceed through the steps. Restart when prompted.

If you are uncomfortable with ensuring you have the right controller drivers, choose Option 1.

I hope this helps. Also note --the .zip file usually does not contain the Intel RAID control panel, it is simply a driver. The executable usually contains the system tray/contol application. Your mainboard chipset has been around long enough that Windows 10 was probably able to install an existing driver.

0 Kudos
GFun
Beginner

Thanks for replying LoneWolf15. Before I implement one of your suggestions, I would like to make certain that we are on the right track by providing some additional info on my system.

Currently, my Windows 10 pro OS is booting up just fine. I just can't open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) app (there is usually an Intel RST icon on the lower right hand portion of my monitor and I don't see the icon there anymore). BTW, I don't see an Intel folder in my app menu either. I am left to wondering if the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver Version: 14.8.0.1042 was ever installed when I double-clicked on the rstcli64.exe file when the downloaded CLI_x64.zip was unzipped.

When I boot into the ASUS UEFI bios utility, the SATA mode selection is set to RAID (Note; choices include Disabled, IDE, AHCI and RAID). I have two Seagate NAS hard drives which is currently on a raid-1 configuration. These drives contain all of my data. I have another drive, a SSD, on which I have the OS loaded and on which I intend to load all software apps. The SSD is not raid configured.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the Intel RST app to run so that I can monitor the health of the raid-1 configuration. I believe that the raid-1 configuration has not been compromised because I see it when I am booting up computer. I am hesitant to implement one of your suggestions because I don't see them stated in the meager instructions provided by Intel for installing the RST raid driver (found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver). I am also concerned about switching from RAID, the current setting in the bios, to AHCI because it seems counter-intuitive and also because I do not possess enough knowledge to know the differences between the two SATA modes.

In truth, I would have no problem with reloading Windows 10 if I could only perform the F6 configuration prior to the installation of the RST RAID driver. The appropriate F6 driver diskette for my system can be found on f6flpy-x64.zip. I have already downloaded this file, but I don't know how or when to install it.

If you or someone would be kind enough to provide the answer to this question, I think that the RST app could be successfully installed. However, if after having tried this method unsuccessfully, then I would entertain implementing one of your suggestions.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or concerns. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
GFun
Beginner

I have solved the problem and successfully installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app. It turns out, and thanks to re-reading LoneWolf15 suggestions, I was able to determine that I had just downloaded the driver and not the application.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Good to hear your computer is working again.

Allan.
0 Kudos
LoneWolf
Novice

Gfun, glad I was able to help and that you're good to go.

0 Kudos
BPaul2
Beginner

Where did you download the application? I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find the application anywhere. I can find the driver, but not the app.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
GFun
Beginner

Here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver Scroll all the way down till you see setupRST.zip. Good luck.

0 Kudos
GFun
Beginner
0 Kudos
YJama1
Beginner

Can this software be installed after installing Windows?

0 Kudos
KRoem
Beginner

I'm no expert on these matters, and my hardware is different than yours, but here's what I did to make it work:

First of all, I'm running a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard version 1.1. This particular motherboard had the ICH10R chip. I have 6 attached raid disks. 2 are mirrored and are my startup volume. 4 are configured into an array for data. The volume sizes are roughly 700Gb for the startup drive and 2Tb for the data drive.

1. I backed up my entire machine to my local NAS.
  2. Using the Intel BIOS (the one accessed by CTRL-I during startup) I deleted, then re-added the mirrored volume. This effectively wiped them out. (I didn't intend to do this, but I won't go into that here.)
  3. I then booted from my Windows 10 cd, downloaded from the upgrade site, and installed Windows. No F6 driver, no USB stick with the drivers-- none of that.
  4. Windows 10 installed perfectly, it recognized my disk configuration and installed an Intel 13.2.0.1022 storage controller driver. (I assume this came from the Windows 10 installation media, or an online driver source tied to the Windows installer, but I don't know for certain.)
  5. Now the only issue was how to get the UI for the Rapid Storage Technology installed.
  6. As most of you are aware, the SetupRST installer installs both the drivers and the UI. When I installed the latest version of SetupRST, the computer WOULD NOT BOOT. I could recover from this, but wound up where I left off with the Windows 10 clean install.
  7. So, I installed the version 14.8.0.1042 of SetupRST. When the installer finished, I DID NOT RESTART!
  8. The UI started after installation and I received the notification that it was managing my arrays. Everything was running fine, now all that was left to do was to fall back to the working driver for my hardware.
  9. So I opened the Device Manager and opened the Storage Controllers, selected the Intel RAID controller and opened the properties page. Opened the driver tab, and clicked the Roll Back Driver button.
  10. Then I restarted. Everything came up perfectly: Windows Installer supplied 13.2.0.1022 storage controller driver and UI version 14.8.0.1042.

Caveat: I haven't rebuilt any arrays or tried anything with the UI yet, other than inspection.

Here is the output from the System Report from the UI:

System Information

OS name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS version: 10.0.10586 9200

System name: XXXXXXXXXX

System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System model: EP45-UD3P

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 2.667 GHz

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc., F8

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed: 14.8.0.1042

User interface version: 14.8.0.1042

Language: English (United States)

RAID option ROM version: 8.0.0.1039

Driver version: 13.2.0.1022

ISDI version: 14.8.0.1042

I hope this helps some of you, as I spent about 2 weeks myself trying various things to get it to work.

Ultimately it wound up being much simpler than I thought.

GFun
Beginner

So sorry to hear about your problems. Although I had some problems, fortunately my experience with performing a clean install of windows 10 pro and Intel RST was not as horrifying. I do have one remaining glitch which you may also be having. I will put it out there for you or anyone who may have a solution. I am running a Raid-1 mirror on my 2 NAS Seagate 4 TB hard drives. Note: the OS and application software are all stored on a 500 gb SSD. The problem is my 4 TB hard drives are only showing up as 2 TB. The bios, upon booting up is seeing 4 TB, but Windows 10 is only indicating 2 TB. I know that I have to convert the drives to GST format and that Seagate provides software to do so, but I can't seem to make it happen. I don't know if there is a conflict with the Intel RST software. Can you or anyone reading this post shed some light on my predicament?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This is about UEFI support. Please bear in mind that there is a volume size limitation of 2TB per volume if this is bootable. I understand you mentioned the OS and other applications are stored on different SSD.

Allan.

0 Kudos
GFun
Beginner

Thanks for replying Allan. My motherboard (Asus Sabertooth Z77) does support UEFI. The Seagate NAS 4TB hard drives on which RAID-1 is mounted are not bootable drives. They are simply meant to store data files. The drives must be converted to a GPT file system instead of the standard NTFS in order for them to provide the 4TB storage instead of the 2TB that I am currently getting. The problem is that the Seagate DiskWizard application software is unable to perform its function to convert the NTFS file system to GPT. And Seagate tech support will not provide support because the drives are on a RAID platform. Might you be able to assist me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This type of support should be covered by the computer manufacturer or the drive maker.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn451252.aspx Windows 7: Manage disks and file systems | TechNet Magazine

Allan.

0 Kudos
LKane
Novice

I am honestly considering dropping the idea of using raid with intel - I tried running the RST setup last night and ended spending hours re-installing windows 10, applications and configuration. Thanks to everyone else commenting with their experience I am starting to form an idea of what my solutions are, but it is a complete mine-field.... I have ihc10r and windows 10... one SSD and a 1TB Raid 1 array (which RST helped destroy last night, thankfully mostly backed-up) what am I supposed to do?

0 Kudos