Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

How to maintain RAID0

FranklinR
Beginner
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure how to maintain a RAID0 setup. I find there isn't much info online; most sites want to tell me how to set it up, but not what to do after it has been set up. I have also found Intel's website woefully inadequate for explaining how Intel RST helps.

So I have some questions. I am using two 2T Samsung 990 Pro drives, which are NVMe-type SSD, and looking to set them up as RAID0 using Intel RST; and, importantly, it will be the drive I install Win11 to and will boot the PC with. I learned that once I set up the drives as a RAID volume, I cannot use Samsung's own proprietary software for managing and updating the SSDs without destroying the striping array set up by RAID0.

What is the best way I can ensure that I know when to update the firmware on the independent drives, and how should go I about that with Intel RST? Or is this something I don't need to worry about because RST takes care of it? If so, how does RST deal with the firmware issue?

Will SSD management applications, like TRIM, still automatically work with a RAID0 volume? What other applications does Intel RST make available for managing the SSDs that form the array?

Are there other things I need to consider to properly maintain the RAID0?

I will, of course, already be backing up the volume to a cloud service, so I am not worried about data loss.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I was really into the idea of setting up a RAID0, but Intel gives so little explanation about the maintenance side of it with NVMes that I am starting to turn away from the idea. I don't want my drives to fail or become poor performing or become security risks because I couldn't figure out how to properly maintain the drives under Intel RST.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @FranklinR  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will do my best to assist you here. 

I will answer each question according to the order you made them: 

1. The Firmware depends on the drives and motherboard you are using, we offer a generic driver for Intel® RST and that's why we recommend you to get the OEM driver (Original Equipment Manufacturer). You can find the Intel generic driver for Intel® RST in the Download Center
  2. We recommend you to check first with the motherboard manufacturer/OEM if there are changes needed to be made in BIOS before creating the RAID. 
  3. The Trim feature will work with RAID 0, no problem at all, however, it won't work for RAID 1. 
  4. The only app to control Intel® RST is Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management console. 
  5. Finally, please be aware that RAID 0 improves the performance but if one drive fails, all the RAID data will be lost. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
FranklinR
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

Thank you for the responses. I have some follow up.

1. When I asked about firmware updating, I wasn't asking about how to update Intel RST. I was asking about the individual drives that will make up the striping array. Are you stating that the firmware for the individual drives is unnecessary, and only Intel RST is needed once the RAID0 volume has been set up? If you are not, then please let me know the answer to my original question regarding firmware. This is an important security concern.

2.  I'm not sure what question you were answering with your second point, the one regarding the BIOS. I am already familiar though with checking with the motherboard manufacturer, and have acquired ASUS's version of the drive for the ASUS Proart Z790 Creator motherboard.

3. Thank you for making it clear that TRIM should work fine.

4. Does Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management app actually manage the SSDs? I can't find any info on how that works. So for example, what about garbage collection, wear leveling, and overprovisioning?

5. Yes, I'm aware of the risk. This is why I mentioned backing up to a cloud service.

-- FranklinR

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @FranklinR  

Thank you for your reply, I hope you are great. 

I will answer to each question according to the order you made them: 

1. Intell® RST user interface makes creating and managing your storage simple and intuitive. Combined with Intel® Rapid Recover Technology, you can set up data protection easily with an external drive, it doesn't manage the drive's firmware, you need to contact the Drive Manufacturer regarding that matter and it is necessary. 
  2. I was referring to this question: "What is the best way I can ensure to know when to update the firmware on the independent drives, and how should go about that with Intel RST? Or is this something there's no need to worry about because RST takes care of it?". This was only a recommendation to make sure the RAID keep running as intended. The drive firmware is a user responsibility, Intel® RST was not made for this purpose. 
  3. I am glad I could solve that inquiry for you. 
  4. The app is for RAID Creation and performance monitoring, the other features are not provided by Intel® RST itself. 
  5. Those would be our recommendations until now, please let us know if you have further inquiries. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
FranklinR
Beginner

Jocelyn,

For the SSD firmware, I can understand that it is user responsibility, but finding out how to allow the drives to update firmware without deleting the RAID0 would be nice. I have seen some rather old answers on the internet, but was hoping Intel had a more explicitly supported process for this, as it is bound to come up for arrays involving SSDs.

I'm not sure what is covered under 'performance monitoring', but I am guessing this means nothing that helps with maintaining performance of the constituent drives of the striping array. This is pretty unfortunate, and it sounds like Intel RST, or Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, is a terrible solution for an array using SSDs for constituent drives. I don't see the point of Intel RST supporting TRIM if it doesn't allow for garbage collection, which TRIM is designed to assist with, not replace, from what I understand. All the worse that wear leveling and overprovisioning are not supported.

Since Samsung makes it clear that a RAID setup precludes any support from them for their SSDs, because the raid controller is now in control, it's clear this is just a bad idea, given that Intel RST is in control but doesn't support these important processes for maintaining SSD performance.

I think this clears the matter up for me and I will have to forego using Intel RST or Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (misnomer?).

Thank you for your time, and make it a great day.

--FranklinR

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @FranklinR  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please be aware that Intel only provides the generic driver and an interface in case you want to use it, however, we understand that other Manufacturers/Vendors of both, motherboards and drives offer other tools or solutions. 

It is your decision how you prefer to create the RAID, if you prefer to do it with the Intel tool (Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management console), we can provide you with support. On the other hand, if you prefer to create it using a third-party tool, the support comes from the Tool/App developer. 

If you have no more inquiries, I hope you have a great day as well. If you need more information or assistance, feel free to create a new post, we will gladly assist you here.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos