Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Installation Problem with RST 17.9.1.1009

TMand7
Beginner

I can't install the new version. During the installation, the message is that the installation process must be canceled. No error message.

Gigabyte B360N Wfi (rev. 1.0) Motherboard

Installed is Version 17.8.0.1065

try to installed Version 17.9.1.1009

Win 10x64, Version 1909 Build 18363.720

What I noticed, the version 17.8. has about 22 MB, the version 17.9. has about 11 MB !??

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The file is smaller because support for some older hardware was removed, as was the GUI (it comes from MS App Store now).

Typically, if you see the message saying must be cancelled, it is because the older version needs to be uninstalled before installing the new version.

...S

0 Kudos
TMand7
Beginner

Even with uninstalling the previous version, the same problem remains. Especially since the old version is uninstalled during the installation of the new version.
Here's the hard copy. The protocol files of the installation. The SSU.
What's more striking. In the download center the new version has the date 22.01. and the release note shows Release History 29.06. .......

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is saying that it failed to remove some files and registry keys during uninstall and this then caused install to be aborted. Intel Customer Support will need to step in here and see if they can repeat this

...S

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello TMand7,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

Please allow us to review the information attached to this thread. We will update it soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello TMand7,

1. Are you trying to install both the Intel® RST driver and the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application or only one of these components?
  2. Is Intel RST UEFI Driver version in BIOS 15.9.3.xxxx or later?
  3. Is Intel RST Premium set in BIOS?
  4. Does the issue occur if you try to install a version provided by your computer vendor?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TMand7
Beginner

1.) trying install both. during installation i select with Intel® Optane™ Memory.... and once without.

2.) and 3.) i can not find this information in bios. I would have to ask at gigabyte.

4.) installed 17.2.11.1033 from Gigabyte download, without problems,

installed 17.7.0.1066 from intel download, without problems,

installed 17.8.0.1065 from Gigabyte and Intel, without problems,

installed 17.9.0.1007 from Gigabyte, with problems or. the same issue, see hardcopy,

installed 17.9.1.1009 from Intel, with problems or. the same issue, see hardcopy.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello TMand7,

Thank you for your response.

In this scenario, our recommendation is that you contact your computer vendor to get more information about the BIOS parameters required to install Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

Once you get more information about that, feel free to post an update.

Since Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) 17.9.1.1009 is a generic version, you may also ask your computer vendor if they recommend that you install generic versions. It is important to note that the versions provided by computer vendors are usually customized to ensure system functionality.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TMand7
Beginner

Here the answer from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

As long as the controller in the bios is not in raid mode, the raid driver cannot be installed by Installation, this one queries the function in the bios.

If you switch the controller to Raid now, Windows will not be able to start.

Your GIGABYTE team

I have a question about this: In Bios, SATA Mode AHCI is employed by me.
As i understand it, until version 17.8.0.1065 there were no problems with the installation, even with SATA Mode AHCI.
Version 17.9.1 can no longer be installed if SATA Mode AHCI is set in the Bios !??

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This capability hasn't been around for a while now (I thought). I am unsure of the actual reason for this, but my guess is that, since the Intel Storage Driver no longer provides any performance improvement over the MS Storage driver, there was really no need to support installation unless RAID/Optane support is enabled.

If you have systems old enough that you remember "the good old days", you really don't want to be using the latest packages anyway. They no longer have support for Intel SRT, the feature that supported HDD acceleration using SATA SSD, for example.

...S

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello TMand7,

In order to use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), Intel RST Premium must be set in BIOS. We might not be able to explain why you were able to install generic versions in AHCI mode since you were also using customized versions.

Our recommendation is that you use the latest version provided by your system manufacturer. If you would like to continue using the generic version, Intel RST Premium must be set in BIOS. Please contact your system manufacturer to get more information about their BIOS features.

You also need to back up your data since an OS reinstallation is required if you change the SATA mode in BIOS.

We will close this inquiry. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
TMand7
Beginner

As I said, the latest driver of Gigabyte cannot be installed with me. Note Gigabyte, it must be entered in the Bios Raid.
Perhaps the remark, it would not make sense to change the installation routine so that the first check is made whether Raid is entered in the bios or not, because an uninstall is performed first, only to find that the driver cannot be installed at all ! You then have to reinstall the old driver or copy an image back, otherwise the hard drives will no longer be recognized !!

0 Kudos