Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management - Storcli

jjf189
Novice

I have a system configured for RAID 1 using the Intel RST driver.  The system recently did updates, and now is using the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management user interface.

Product Version: 18.1.1037.0

Driver Version: 17.11.2.1004

Previously, I was able to use the StorCli64.exe command line tool to automatically check on the status of the RAID and generate an alert if the RAID is degraded.  However, it seems like I can't get the utility to recognize the controller since the update.  Does the new version of the driver still work with the StorCli utility?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) and The Storage Command Line Tool.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this issue also happening to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)?

2. What is the brand and model name of your computer?

3. Are you using the drivers from Intel or from your computer manufacturer?

4. Did you try a clean install of the drivers and tool?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
jjf189
Novice

Hi,

1.  The Intel RST application for the user interface is not installed anymore.  I did updates and it was automatically replaced with the Optane Memory and Storage Management (OMSM) user interface.  The "About" window for the OMSM indicates it uses the RST driver, with the version listed above.

2.  The machine is a Dell Precision 3930 Rack mount.

3.  The drivers were installed from Dell using their update utility.

4.  I did not try a clean install.  Can I do that without breaking the RAID?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189, 

Thanks for your response. Before you try the clean install of the drivers I would like to confirm the following:

1. Can you take a picture or a short video where we can see the issue?

2. Does not the StorCli64 recognize the RAID at all or is it a different feature that the tool does not recognize?

3. Have you performed any BIOS changes recently?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jjf189
Novice

I was able to get access to another system with similar configuration, but no recent updates (older BIOS, Intel RST interface not updated to Optane Memory and Storage Management) and found that the Storcli does not work on that either.  This likely means I was mistaken and have not been able to use the StorCli64 on the system at all (typically we use dedicated hardware RAID controllers, not embedded). 

To check the StorCli64, I open command prompt (as administrator) and use the "show" command.  In this case, the result indicates "Number of Controllers = 0":

2022-12-05 Storcli64 Show.png 

Is it possible that this driver does not support the StorCli64 utility?

Here are additional references for the system:

2022-12-05 Intel Management 02.png

Intel Chip Set:

2022-12-05 Device Manager - Chipset.png

StorCli64 Properties:

2022-12-05 Storcli64 Properties.png

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189, 

Thanks for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189, 

Based on the investigation, the StorCLI Standalone Utility works with RAID controllers, can you confirm if you have one of these?

StorCLI Standalone Utility: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17809/storcli-standalone-utility.html?erpm_id=1123515_ts1670361855555

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jjf189
Novice

OK, I had thought the StorCLI utility was compatible with the RST driver.  Searching some more, I found there is a RSTCliPro Utility.  I did not find much documentation, but I got help using parameter (RSTCliPro -h).

The RAID status is obtained from the "information" parameter (RSTCliPro -I).  Note that administrator privileges are required to use the utility.  Also, there are multiple versions of the utility, and it appears that it must match the RST driver version to work.

The status of the volume indicates "Normal" when the drives are both up to date.  I broke/restored the array and ran the utility again to confirm that the state of the volume indicates "Degraded" while it is in the process of rebuilding.  That satisfies the requirements for our application to monitor the status.

Thanks for your assistance.

2022-12-08 RAID Status.png

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189, 

I am glad to know that you found helpful information related to the StorCLI application. Before I continue further with the process I would like to know if the issue is solved or if you need further assistance.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jjf189
Novice
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jjf189, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I am glad to know that the information provided was helpful. I will proceed to close this thread.

However, you can open a new one in case you need further assistance or if you have any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos