Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management System Tray Icon/RAID-1 Question

czarship
Novice

My old Windows computer ran Intel Rapid Storage Technology v17.2.11.1033

It included 2 convenient features that I enjoyed:

1. A System Tray Icon with a simple green check mark or red x to quickly determine the disk health with a glance.

2. E-mail notifications options in the Preferences menu for alerts on issues while you're away from the computer.

I recently got a new computer and set up a software RAID using Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management v18.0.1017.0

This newer version of the software appears to lack either of the 2 above useful features.

Is there any way to enable a System Tray icon or E-mail notifications in the latest Intel RST software? Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello czarship, I just received an update on this matter.

The Intel® RST 17.9 and 18.x does not offer System Tray icon nor email notification. If by any chance you need any type of notifications then the thing to do will be to work with Windows* Notification Center.

"if using the Initialization option within the Intel® RST software for this RAID volume is worth the time." There is always a need to run the Initialization feature if you have a non-redundant volume such as RAID 0 to ensure that data is readable before starting the verification process. For RAID 1, this is not that important.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
czarship
Novice

It appears they're just not options anymore, that's fine.

Follow up, I'm curious what are best practices for Initializing a RAID-1 volume built with 2 brand new drives? I've already run some basic diagnostics on both drives to check for errors and wonder if the Intel RST Initialization process is actually necessary. It seems to take a while to run (with no fast or quick option) and I wonder if putting these new drives through the extra stress when I already know the drives are blank.

Windows Device Manager reads the drive as "Intel Raid 1 Volume" and the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management software seems to be happy as well.

Given the function of RAID-1 to just write the exact same thing to both drives, am I really missing out anything by not Initializing the volume in this RAID level? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

czarship, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For us to be able to provide the most accurate assistance in reference to all your questions, we just wanted to check a few details about the components in your platform, for us to be able to do that please attach the SSU report and check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
czarship
Novice

Thanks for your reply! After gathering the logs, the SSUtility forwarded me to the website servicerequestmgmt.intel.com to upload the results, but the site doesn't seem to be operational anymore, so I've attached the output to this message.

As you may be able to tell, I've been using the RAID-1 a decent amount within Windows so far without issue. Just curious if using the Initialization option within the Intel RST software for this RAID volume is worth the time.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

czarship, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter to gather all the information that you are looking for, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello czarship, I just received an update on this matter.

The Intel® RST 17.9 and 18.x does not offer System Tray icon nor email notification. If by any chance you need any type of notifications then the thing to do will be to work with Windows* Notification Center.

"if using the Initialization option within the Intel® RST software for this RAID volume is worth the time." There is always a need to run the Initialization feature if you have a non-redundant volume such as RAID 0 to ensure that data is readable before starting the verification process. For RAID 1, this is not that important.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
czarship
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

czarship, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect excellent, it is great to hear that the information provided previously was helpful and useful for you.

Any other inquires, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos