Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Intel RST 11.5 memory leak

idata
Employee

Hi guys,

Is anyone else having memory leak issues with RST 11.5.0.1207?

I'm running Win 7 64-bit on Z68 chipset and was happy to find out that RST 11.5 was finally out, but I soon found out that it has memory leak issues as IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe *32 reserves over 700 Mb of RAM during the day. I'm pretty sure the count would be even higher if I wouldn't shut my PC down for the night.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but it didn't help. I'm assuming this problem only exists for a minority of users since googling only brought up a few other people complaining with the same issue.

Anyways, I hope Intel fixes this issue soon

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

It's confirmed everywhere on the Web...

I also got the problem on my computer :

Mobo : P8P67 Deluxe

RAID : 4 SSD Crucial M4 in RAID 10 with OROM v11.5.0.1414

after 24 h without turning off my PC, IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe use 1.5Gb of RAM!!!

Also a lot of monitoring apps are BSODing instantly if used with this RST 11.5.0.1207.

And for me it leads to massive data corruption ...fortunately I have a daily backup on separated HD.

Nice programing piece Intel clap clap clap

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It looks like IRST 11.5.0.1207 has been removed from Intel's download pages. I would suggest installing 11.2 or earlier IRST driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Confirmed. I have created a scheduled task which periodically restarts the thing.

And the RAID 0 TRIM support is not working in my configuration (if it is implemented?). No release notes found...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Confirmed. 1.7 GB being used by using this driver.

I ended the driver process, reenabled it and watched the memory climb mteverest.

Another confirmation, hope intel jumps on this as I am using a Z75 board.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem here. I uninstalled RST and went back to 10.8.0.1003, which now is the latest intel offers for download. This solves this issue, but a _real_ update would be nice.

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This seems to be only for Intel Mainboards as it says. If you go by Chipsets -> Chipset Software -> IRST you end up with the 10.8.0.1003 as being the latest.

My mainboard is an Asus.

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

This is an Intel forum, after all, so that wouldn't be so bad, but it turns out that's not the case. People with non-Intel boards use these later releases, too, as can be seen all over the Internet.

I don't know why Intel rarely updates their main RST page for the later releases, which have included 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, and until recently, 11.5. Perhaps it's oversight, perhaps it's being conservative.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the info. Honestly I did expect the 11.2 to work on my board, but when it's about storage stuff I am better safe than sorry.

And please don't ask my why I tried the 11.5 so early. ^^

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oh come on, you know why, most people do that too, It's new, so must be better, and improved, and will even be miraculous! It's human nature, we hope to find treasure.

I tried it too, but did not damage anything. If I still used the Intel RAID driver that my mobo manufacture supplies for my "old" X58 board, I'd be using Matrix Storage 9... something. I use IRST 10.8.0.1003 and 11.2.0.1006 on Intel X58, P67 and Z77 boards, which are newer than the mobo manufacture supplies, with no problems. That 11.5 driver is an exception, it is has issues, which is very unusual for a WHQL certified driver. There is likely more to this story than we know or ever will.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

parsec wrote:

Oh come on, you know why, most people do that too, It's new, so must be better, and improved, and will even be miraculous! It's human nature, we hope to find treasure.

If only some people who did this, then didn't go on to complain when things didn't go as they'd hoped. I've had my share of disappointing BIOS, software and driver 'upgrades' and I realise that going down that path of experimentation is very much at ones own risk. Fortunately the 'non-essential' BIOS upgrades I have tried were reversable. Intel is making things harder with newer motherboards by offering 'no going back' BIOS updates in many cases now so people really need to be sure about whether they actually need to upgrade.

PS did you get my pm parsec?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are so right about the complaints. But I'm seeing some people that take the advice of someone without really knowing what they are using, and assume it is, for example, a WHQL certified driver, when it is a beta driver from who knows where.

I'm becoming much more wary of BIOS/UEFI and firmware updates from every manufacture. Not that they are all defective, but they are simply not what we think (hope) they will be. Actually, I've seen some bad ones recently, by some mother board manufactures, when adding support for Ivy Bridge CPUs to to Sandy Bridge chipset boards. Yes those CPUs should be compatible, with a proper UEFI update, but I don't think the updates were tested very well by some manufactures. They too won't let you change back, and there might be a valid technical reason for that, unfortunately. Look before you leap...

PS: Saw your latest PM, and replied.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When i had my old 5400RPM HD installed it was working fine, until i installed SSD and that's when i findout that is has a memory leak, from a picture you can tell it uses 700MB but before i took a picture it was using upto 2GB

I had to restart Win7 to eliminate memory leak since service restart didn't do a thing to my system

I uninstalled it completely with reg cleaning etc...

and now i'm running faster then when i had RST installed

That's my fix on it

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How do you revert back to a previous version? Do I have to uninstall the current IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe?

Also, how do you install the above download for the older version?

0 Kudos
JPaun
Beginner

I have the same issue.

0 Kudos
JPaun
Beginner

My laptop drivers are up-to-date.

0 Kudos
JPaun
Beginner

Here's a thing, When I'm rolling back to Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller, it only has 145MB in the leak but slower reads and writes(R:68.23MBs : W:73.19MBs using crystaldiskmark @ 5/1GiB/C: 31% 80/256) on the hard drive, while In Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller it jumps up to 400MB (562MB++) but higher reads and writes (R:91.02MBs : W:93.97MBs using crystaldiskmark @ 5/1GiB/C: 31% 80/256))

0 Kudos
JPaun
Beginner
0 Kudos
JPaun
Beginner
0 Kudos