Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB vs Intel RST VMD Controller 467F

stanleyhsiao
Novice

Dear Sir or Madam:

Recently, I installed VMD driver 19.2.0.1003 version on my Windows 10 OS and show two different

VMD driver: Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB and Intel RST VMD Controller 467F.

And my question below: 

1. What's different between 09AB and 467F ?

2. Why system show 3 the same driver(Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB) in device manager but I only connect one NVMe drive?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Stanley Hsiao

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello stanleyhsiao,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand that you have soem doubts about the Intel RST VMD Managed Controllers.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

2. What is the brand and model name of your laptop or motherboard (if desktop computer)?

3. Can you share a link or picture where you are seeing these driver versions?

Also, you may find some useful information in the following link:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

stanleyhsiao
Novice

Dear Deivid :

I'm appreciate for your reply and provide information for me.

For your question and my answer below: 

1. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer? -> Desktop computer (motherboard).

2.What is the brand and model name of your laptop or motherboard (if desktop computer)?

-> Full brand and model name is ASUS Pro B660M-C D4 CSM. 

3. Can you share a link or picture where you are seeing these driver versions? -> Please refer to attachment file "iRST_VMD 467F_and_09AB.jpg" and I installed version is  19.2.0.1003 on ASUS Web:

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Stanley Hsiao

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello stanleyhsiao, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello stanleyhsiao, 

Thanks for your patience. As you may know, the Intel VMD hardware generates 'dummy' devices for multi-function devices when mapped, these functions may be visible to the Windows® operating system, this will cover these devices and make sure there are no Yellow bands in the Device Manager for the dummy values. 

The driver need will depend on the manufacturer of the computer, in this case, Asus recommends for some of their devices Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 as per this link: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1044458/

On the other hand, Intel recommends version 09AB, so you will need to check with Asus to make sure what is version recommended for your motherboard.

For the duplicated drivers in the device manager, this may be related to the number of drives or sometimes an error when installing the driver, I recommend using the Asus RST Driver (https://www.asus.com/tw/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/CSM/Pro-B660M-C-D4-CSM/HelpDesk_Download/).

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

stanleyhsiao
Novice

Dear Deivid: 

Thanks for your patient explanation, now I got it 09AB and  'dummy' devices for multi-function devices concept and what about 467F version? It's for AlderLake CPU or PCH driver on mother board? Like 9A08 for Tiger Lake(TGL) right? 

Those are my final questions, thanks.

Best regards,

Stanley. Hsiao.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello stanleyhsiao, 

Thanks for your response. In this case, for driver 467F, I recommend you check this with Asus to confirm if this driver is needed for your computer.

I cannot confirm if the driver 467F is meant for the CPU or motherboard since this driver could be from the motherboard manufacturer and they used customized driver versions from our generic drivers and Asus needs to confirm if this driver could have been meant for other of their motherboards or laptops.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos