Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Intel RST degraded RAID

eddyjo
Novice

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte board running RAID 1 on two Adata SX6000 NVME SSD's. The raid has degraded an one of the drives is reported bad. I've replaced it with the exact same model of drive but now the RST software does not show the new drive as available or give me the option to rebuild. It still just reports the old drive as missing. The new drive can be seen by device manager and I can access it via disk management. Just the RST console shows no sign of it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
eddyjo
Novice

Things escalated before I could make it to site. The second drive fell off the raid array also so the system would not boot. Luckily I could read the data in another board with an M.2 NVME slot so I imaged to get a backup. Then I created a new mirrored array in the system with two new drives and cloned the saved data back. It's all running as should now with the console reporting the mirror is healthy. This is with the latest storage management app and the new drivers you forwarded me a link to.

Thanks for your suggestions along the way. This can now be marked as resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello eddyjo, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. 

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer 
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save

2. Provide the System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 

1. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology). 
  2. Click the Help icon. 
  3. Click the System Report icon. 
  4. Click Save

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the report(s) to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.  

3. Under the ROM option, what disks do you see? To open the ROM menu, press Ctrl + I during boot. If you are unable to enter the menu with these keys, check with the board manufacturer for help accessing this menu.   

4. Just to confirm you followed these steps but you see no option to rebuild the array, correct? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005775/technologies.html  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
eddyjo
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

There is no rebuild option. It's just showing my one good drive and the missing (failed drive) which I have now replaced.

The console I have which was downloaded from my board manufacturers site does not appear to have the help Icon you mentioned. I have sent a screen shot.

I'm not at site with the computer so cannot go into the option ROM currently to see whats going on. I was trying to resolve it remotley within Windows.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello eddyjo,  

Thanks for the response. 

For this, I will recommend you to try the Intel generic Intel® RST version: 

1. Uninstall the current version installed by your system manufacturer (OEM): 

1. Press Windows X keys. 
  2. Select Device Manager
  3. Find and expand the Disk drives catalog. 
  4. Right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose Uninstall device

2. Download and install our version from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory  

Check if with this version you can rebuild the array, or at least provide the report.

I understand that you are not on PC's site, but it could be useful for you to check the ROM menu and check if the option to rebuild is available there. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
eddyjo
Novice

I've installed your version as described. No change. There is no help button I can see anywhere in the console for the software though, so i cannot create a report ?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello eddyjo,   

Thanks for the reply. 

If the software is not giving you the option to rebuild the array there could be a problem within your current RAID and the system. You may want to try checking the ROM menu and see if you can do the rebuild from there. 

If not, I will recommend you recreate the array from scratch: 

First part: To delete the array, try the following: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000035350/memory-and-storage.html  

1. Access the ROM interface  
  2. Use the up or down arrow keys to select “Delete RAID” Volume.  
  3. Use the up or down arrow keys to select the RAID volume.  
  4. Press Delete to delete the volume.  
  5. Press Y to confirm the deletion.  

Second part: After deleting it, you can start from scratch; you will need to reinstall the Operating System (OS) as well: 

1. Press Ctrl-I when the following window appears during POST 
  2. Select option for Create RAID Volume and press Enter. 
  3. Type in a volume name and press Enter or press Enter to accept the default volume name. 
  4. Select the RAID level by using the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the available values, then press Enter. 
  5. Press Enter to select the physical disks. 
  6. Select the appropriate number of hard drives by using the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the list of available hard drives. Press the Space bar to select a drive. When you have finished selecting hard drives, press Ente 
  7. Unless you have selected RAID 1, select the strip size by using the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the available values and then press Enter. 
  8. Select the volume capacity and press Enter. Note: The default value indicates the maximum volume capacity using the selected disks. If less than the maximum volume capacity is chosen, creation of a second volume is needed to utilize the remaining space (i.e. a matrix RAID configuration).  
  9. At the Create Volume prompt, press Enter to create the volume. The following prompt will appear:  
  10. Press the key to confirm volume creation. 
  11. Exit the option ROM user interface by selecting the Exit option. 
  12. Press the key again to confirm exit 

Note: You can use the method above or use the GUI, if the ROM is not available with Ctrl+I you will have to contact your board maker for help to create the RAID within the BIOS. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello eddyjo,  

Were you able to check the previous recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
eddyjo
Novice

Things escalated before I could make it to site. The second drive fell off the raid array also so the system would not boot. Luckily I could read the data in another board with an M.2 NVME slot so I imaged to get a backup. Then I created a new mirrored array in the system with two new drives and cloned the saved data back. It's all running as should now with the console reporting the mirror is healthy. This is with the latest storage management app and the new drivers you forwarded me a link to.

Thanks for your suggestions along the way. This can now be marked as resolved.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello eddyjo,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix this issue, thanks for also sharing the fix with us. 

Based on that, we will close this inquiry. However, if you need further help, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos