Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Intel RST driver blocks eDrive?

HKim49
Novice

The discussions below say it all.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/256GB-eDrive-versus-240GB-OPAL/td-p/1412923 256GB eDrive versus 240GB OPAL - Lenovo Community

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T440s-How-to-enable-the-Windows-eDrive-feature/td-p/1364811 T440s: How to enable the Windows eDrive feature? - Lenovo Community

Does Intel actually supply a RST driver, or AHCI driver, that doesn't interfere with eDrive SSD or corrupt SSD running eDrive?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the community.

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

It's been a while. Is there any technical response from Intel?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for the delayed answer, I am still checking with my expert contact about this matter. As soon as I get any update I will post it here.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I just received the following information from engineering:

Intel RST does not provide OPAL support to volumes. Also, even for pass-through disks (non-RAID configurations) we only support the Trusted Send and Receive commands. As far as eDrives, they may work with AHCI, but we know it doesn't work for RAID.

Thanks.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

One can understand why Intel would not bother to provide eDrive support with RAID.

Can Intel support eDrive with their AHCI driver? Microsoft's in-box AHCI driver passes all the OPAL commands. Can Intel do the same with their optimized drivers.

If Intel does not support eDrive, can Intel put out some documentation to that effect? Many people already have their eDrive affected because of this.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I appreciate your feedback on this matter. I will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for future consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate this issue to us.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

Can Intel work double-time to solve this problem?

In fresh installations deployed, Microsoft AHCI driver is installed to keep using eDrive, but the driver gets auto-updated to Intel AHCI driver.

It screws everything up.

Can Intel please just support eDrive in their AHCI driver?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

It sounds like Intel will do nothing about this showstopper problem with their driver. Terrible.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The Intel engineering department is aware of this thread but I still do not have any notification that it will be fixed on future drivers but you can keep checking this post for updates.

Allan.

0 Kudos
HKim49
Novice

Engineering should be aware that this problem is becoming a joke on three continents.

It reminds me of the BSOD snafu of the AMD AHCI driver 6 years ago.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos
KOstr1
Beginner

It seems that no one updated this thread recently, and the RST driver evolved. There are reports that RST AHCI driver 13.2.4 supports eDrive. Can someone from Intel confirm this?

Best regards,

Karol

0 Kudos
JRhee1
Beginner

Searching for eDrive and Intel points right here.

Does Intel have an AHCI driver that is compatible with eDrive? Could Intel shed some light?

0 Kudos
moneytree
Beginner

J.Rhee wrote:

Searching for eDrive and Intel points right here.

Does Intel have an AHCI driver that is compatible with eDrive? Could Intel shed some light?

It appears various eDrive problems have plagued Intel RST drivers for multiple years. With the problems unresolved for so long, I have serious doubts if this will ever be fixed.

See also:

0 Kudos