Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Intel RST on Gigabyte

KrisM
Beginner

Hi everyone

I have a problem with a Intel RST drivers. I reinstalled yesterday Windows 10 to test what is the problem.

The problem is that when I reboot Windows 10 21H1 all SATA hard drives shut off and start again. It shouldn't work like this, drives should be powered all time during reboot

I figured out that, when I install RST driver (from gigabyte website for my mainboard and Intel website) the problem occours.
When I use default Windows driver (from Windows instalation) everything is ok (on reboot drives don't stop)

Is this normal or maybe mainboard is faulty?

My disk configuration
m.2 - Samsung 980
sata0 - Samsung 850 PRO
sata1 - no drive
sata2 - WDC WD60EFAX-68SHWN0
sata3 - WDC WD20EURX-63T0FY0
sata4 - BD drive
sata5 - DVD drive

Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X
Intel Core I5-11500
AHCI mode, No RAID
16GB RAM

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

KrisM, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Were the SATA hard drives working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

You mention "AHCI mode, No RAID", so, just to confirm, currently, there is no existing working RAID configuration on your computer then?

If by any chance you have a RAID configuration on your machine, please provide the RAID report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

Is this a new computer?

Yes a computer is new, buy it around 1 month ago

Were the SATA hard drives working fine before?

Yes, I used drives in my old computer and it was fine, no problem. In this case when I use default SATA/AHCI drivers from Microsoft there is no problem

When did the issue start?

After install RST drivers. I've installed drivers from mainboad manufacturer (Gigabyte) and Intel. No diffrence. After install during reboot drives stop and start.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Only install a RST drivers. No harware changes. I've tested on new instalation of Windows 10 (clear system) and problem reveal after install RST drivers.

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

At home environment

You mention "AHCI mode, No RAID", so, just to confirm, currently, there is no existing working RAID configuration on your computer then?

I don't have RAID configuration (2 differnent drives 2TB and 6TB). In bios I've set AHCI mode without RAID

If by any chance you have a RAID configuration on your machine, please provide the RAID report:

No I dont have because I use default driver from Microsoft.

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs"

File included. 6TB disk is encrypted by BitLocker so the is no information in file

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

"I don't have RAID configuration (2 differnent drives 2TB and 6TB). In bios I've set AHCI mode without RAID" Keep in mind that the Intel® Intel® Rapid Storage Technology application was designed to create and manage RAID volumes and RAID configurations. In this situation, if you do not have a RAID created, in that case, you can always uninstall the application by accessing the "Apps and Features" option in Windows, uninstall the program from there and keep using the use default Windows driver since, according to what you mentioned, that way the problem with the SATA drives does not show anymore.

You can also get further assistance on the features the driver by Microsoft provides or on how to uninstall the Intel® RST from Windows by getting in contact with Microsoft support:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Or also to get in contact directly with Samsung or WDC support so they can provide maybe a diagnostic tool for the SATA drives and to confirm if that behavior is normal:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/
https://www.westerndigital.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

Contact with Microsoft, Samsung or WDC is not a solution. The problem reveal after install your RST driver so Intel should check what is wrong.

I did clean installations of Windows 10 (now 3 times) and always problem causes RST driver.

Maybe you should contact with Gigabyte (I also contact with them) and work together solve the problem.

I know that I don't need Rapid Storage Technology software but before this configuration I had different without RAID and when I installed this software everthing was good. Maybe you have problem with chipset Z590 and drivers cannot talk with ok with drives. I dont know, it is your job to check this and find a solution.

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We completely understand and respect your comments so, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello KrisM, I just received an update on this matter.

We have tested the same Chipset configuration on Windows* 10 SATA mode RAID and AHCI and no issues were found.

After installing the latest Intel® RST version/driver the computer worked fine.

Please install and test the latest Intel® RST version 18.6.1.1016:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

I tested drivers that you suggested. No change. What I did:

- used new SATA wire. No change

- used a different sata port on mainboard. No change

- disconnected all sata drives, leave ony one HDD drive. No change

I used configuration without raid. I will test on Friday different configuration (2x 1TB 2,5") and I will configure a RAID and see what happen

Still I think that the problem is driver. Maybe you should contact with WDC and Gigabyte and together solve the issue.

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

What was the test configuration?What drives?

I think I did test with driver 10.6.1.1016 but I will do again.

I will give you a replay after tests

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

"What was the test configuration?What drives?". I will try to gather that information and post it on the thread as soon as I get it.

"I will give you a replay after tests", perfect, no problem at all, take your time, go ahead and do the tests, the thread will remain open for as long as you need it. Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

I've tested different configurations and disks

RAID 1:

2x WD (1TB, 2,5" 5400rpm)

2x Seagate (350GB, 3,5" 7200rpm)

RAID 0:

AHCI (No RAID):

1x WD 6TB (red), 1x WD 2TB (green)

Both RAID were tested with RST driver (from your message and from gigabytes site)

Configuration without RAID (my normal configuration mine and different disks)

Result: The same problem. Disks switched off during reboot

Please write to your Intel developer team to repair this driver. I can test corrected drivers before you will official realese.

Without correct drivers I cannot set RAID.

Regards 

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear that the problem persists after testing the Intel® RST version provided previously.

In reference to your previous question about our tested configuration:

Hardware lab use for replication

Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI

Intel® Core™ i7-11700K

4-Samsung EVO 860 500GB

Windows* 10 updated

Intel® Driver Support Assistant updated

Based on your recent results, we will continue with our research on this matter, once I get more information I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

One thing, you used SSD disks but you should used HDD disk.

On SSD you cannot hear when disk stop and start

And I think you also should uese a Gigabyte mainboad

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

Any news about my issue?

regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

While we are still working on this case, there are many customers that use the word "Boot" in many different ways, so we just wanted to confirm what do you mean exactly with "The problem is that when I reboot Windows 10 21H1 all SATA hard drives shut off and start again"?. This is because a reboot should also restart the hard drive normally. But if it sleeps or hibernates it won't shut down the hard drive.

Were there any changes done on the system after the issue started?

If it is possible and if you have the chance of course, could you please capture a video for a better understanding of this scenario, so we can make sure we are working on the right area?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

1. When I write "reboot" I mean a process when PC reboot and devices (like disks) during this process still work (plates inside disk spins all the time). When I do shutdown PC all devices stop and power cut off

In my case I reboot PC, disks shutdown and after while disks start again

2. There were no changes. The issue occours from the beginning when I bought a PC

3. Link to Google drive when you can find 4 short movies (2 with default Windows driver and 2 witj RST driver)

01a-Windows_default _driver.mp4 and 01b-Windows_default _driver.mp4 - normal work of disks during reboot (windows default driver)

02a-RST_driver.mp4 and 02b-RST_driver.mp4 - incorrect  work of disks during reboot (RRS driver v. 18.6.1.1016)

In file 02a-RST_driver.mp4 - (14-15 second disks shutdown, in 21second POST 1 beep, from 23 to 31 second disks start again)

In file 02b-RST_driver.mp4 - (16-17 second disks shutdown, in 23 second POST 1 beep, from 24 to 33 second disks start again)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RS1IDqzt7HbKO2wD92DOB6rStFbevL3u?usp=sharing

I hope it helps because it isn't normal

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for clarifying those details and for providing the videos.

We will continue with our research on this matter, once I get any updates I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Just to let you know, after trying to replicate this scenario in our Intel® lab, we did not get the same results after our testing.

So, at this point, we believe this problem could be related to the motherboard itself, since the issue could not be seen by Intel® and the problem could be a hardware issue with the board. 

In that case, we advise you to get in contact directly with Gigabyte support, to report this scenario, to check if they have a possible fix for it or if a physical inspection of the board is needed. Warranty options may apply and they will be able to further assist you if that is the case:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KrisM
Beginner

Hi Albert

Could you write on what configuration you tested my issue?

And on your test configuration disks worked all the time even during restart?

I wrote to gigabyte but they haven't answed yet. Still waiting. My local reseller said the this is normal behaviour.

Could you answer that this is normal, that durring restart OS disk stop and start again. Or maybye it shouldn't happen?

regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi KrisM, Thank you very much for your response.

Sure, I will try to gather the information you requested and confirm those details. As soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Configuration:

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI

MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS

Samsung Evo 850 500GB

Raid and AHCI mode

Windows* 10 / Windows* 11

If Mechanical drives are set to sleep, then they will be off when the machine enters sleep mode. This is expected behavior.

There is no way to determine if M.2 SATA drive powers off since there are no mechanical parts.

0 Kudos