Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel RSTe start error on Windows Server 2008 R2

Novice

I'm want to build RAID1 and keep the data from one of hdd. I found this method, and it's good for me. But... when I install RTSe for my server (version 5.5.0.1360 from supermicro site) and rebooted the server - program give me an error and would not start.

I have a russian version of OS and RSTe (Intel support on .ru off or don't work for me). Supermicro (OEM) told me to write an Intel (English) support. If need a translation in someplaces - just ask.

Windows event viewer when try to start IAStorUI.exe:

Имя журнала: Application

Источник:  PSI

Дата:   18.08.2019 4:34:19

Код события: 0

Категория задачи:Отсутствует

Уровень:  Сведения

Ключевые слова:Классический

Пользователь: Н/Д

Компьютер:  local

Описание:

Warning: Initial Storage Driver Data Load failed. The driver may be busy.

Xml события:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="PSI" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-18T01:34:19.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>899814</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Warning: Initial Storage Driver Data Load failed. The driver may be busy.</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

and second event

Имя журнала: Application

Источник:  IRST_UI

Дата:   18.08.2019 4:34:21

Код события: 0

Категория задачи:Отсутствует

Уровень:  Сведения

Ключевые слова:Классический

Пользователь: Н/Д

Компьютер:  local

Описание:

Failed to load Storage Data from Driver

Xml события:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="IRST_UI" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-18T01:34:21.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>899815</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Failed to load Storage Data from Driver</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I can provide more info about hardware and system by request.

What is tried on this moment:

Reinstall RSTe and drivers many times (tried older versions).

Install/Reinstall .NET Framework 3.5.1 (win components).

Install/Reinstall .NET Framework 4.7.2.

Delete and update drivers from device manager.

Install RSTe by cmd (installutil.exe <...>).

If exist is other good method to create RAID1 without losing data - it would be very nice. Maybe some kind of cmd-like script right to the RST service, without GUI?

TIA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Novice

Hello, Josh.

You was right. Version of RSTe from drivers CD (ISO) (link to the iso) works.

Today (tonight) I have a time window of 4-6 hours and can reboot server, so I try to solve the problem, again.

Supermicro told me to try version 3.8.0.1113 of RSTe and drivers, and give me archive with it, but it has an error at start, this error does not appears at windows event log (screenshot attached).

After fail with version 3.8.0.1113 I try to follow Intel recommendations (try RSTe version from drivers CD ISO).

Version of RSTe from drivers CD (ISO) is 4.0.0.1040. After install and reboot the icon in tray say "service not running". And yes, service does not exist in OS. So I open cmd (run as admin) and install it manually:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe"

After service installation I run the program from tray icon, and it works, no errors. RAID1 creation already in progress.

It works! RSTe Version 4.0.0.1040 works on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thank you, @JoshB_Intel​ , @DavidV_Intel​ , Intel support team.

Problem solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello 3000022925311.5660906378438687E12,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

In order for me to get more information and assist you in the best way, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Also, please provide me with the exact model of motherboard you are using.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Novice

Hi, David.

Thank you for reply. I attached the info file.

Motherboard full model: Supermicro X9DRW (id: 63-0100-000001-00101111-121412)

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance regarding the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) in you Supermicro* X9DRW series server board, if we infer correctly please review the information below:

· We do not recommend trying to create a RAID array using drives containing data, the recommended process is to install 2 formatted (clean or new) drives to create the RAID array and to move the data back to the new array.

To get further assistance regarding this matter, we suggest contacting your OEM to get the specific BIOS configuration to perform this process.

· At this moment we do not offer an option to use CLI (command line interface) to create a RAID array using the RSTe software.

· We advise you to use the latest version of the Intel® RSTe software provided by your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) Supermicro*at their website and to avoid using an older or generic version of the software since you may lose features or customizations as stated in the download center:

About Intel® drivers and software

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with them before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

· The “method” that you posted about is referring to a different application that is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RST) and not to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) that your system includes and it may not apply to your system depending on your OEM customization of this solution.

· We advise you to continue working in parallel with your OEM Supermicro* to get instructions on how to create the RAID from the pre-boot option and if they have a list of compatible or tested solutions to clone your drive to the new RAID 1.

Please let us know the results after following our recommendations.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Novice

Hi, Josh.

Intel RSTe Software don't workin on Windows 2008 R2, any provided by OEM (Supermicro) version and any version from intel website is just show error at start. Again: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) show me an error when I try to start the program (any version). Supermicro support told me to ask about it an Intel Support, cuz it is only one thing that is not workin on this server - RSTe software!

I can create RAID1 from RST bios, but I lose more than 1TB data, I cant do that. And I haven't other good method to create RAID1 without losing data. I have two hdds 4TB each, one of it 30% use, all slots in server full - it is not possible to connect another drive. Because of that supermicro told me to use the RSTe, but it don't work, cuz program give an error at start.

Topic and question not about multimethods of RAID creation, topic about start and workin a RSTe software on windows 2008 r2. Please dont be far from main topic and question.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for your reply.

The recommendations provided in our previous post were provided as a best effort to give you options on how to configure your RAID arrays without using the software due to the issue you are reporting with your Supermicro* server.

The issue you are reporting seems more related to an OS issue instead of an issue with the RSTe component that came in your system. Based on the troubleshooting you have done using different versions of the driver and even the generic driver from our website and still experiencing the same issue our best recommendation is to reinstall your OS or to upgrade your OS to a newer version of Windows* server since the one that you are using is 11 years old and has limited support available.

As we stated in our previous post at the moment of creating a new RAID array we recommended that the drives are empty or ready to be formatted (initialized) if not there will be a high risk of the data getting lost or corrupted during the RAID creation. This being said the procedure that you described is not recommended. We advise you to create a verified back up of your information and to create the RAID first and later to place the information in the new volume.

Please take into consideration that Supermicro* should be the one providing you with support for your server system, components and drivers since the driver or software for your RSTe component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with them so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Novice

Hi, Josh.

We use server 2008 r2 because have a limited software, and server 2008 r2 the most newer OS that supported by software. (Software developer is no more exist, so program has last version)

We have a everydays backup, but... local D: contains Users Data, (server is a DC), so we can't start withous local disc D:. And we can't create raid in BIOS, cuz it's erase the data (and we can't start without it). To recover data from backup - need to start the OS, can't start = can't recover. Because of this situation optimal way to get working RAID1 is to create an array by RSTe utility.

You can check the version of utility, I provide you full info. Look at screenshots to know how to get last version of utility.

Check the RSTe on supermicros website and say what is wrong? Link to download ftp://supermicro.com/driver/SATA/Intel_PCH_RAID_RSTE/Management/5.5.0.1360/IATA_CD.exe

Link provided by Supermicro! Please check and give a list with corrupted files - Supermicro need to know that info to help me.

0 Kudos
Novice
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

We tried to download several versions of the driver from the Supermicro* website but all seems to be corrupted or incomplete. This is an issue related directly to the Supermicro* server.

We recommend you to download the Driver CD instead of just the driver to see if there is any difference in the driver package.

We do apologize but your request to have a list of corrupted files in the driver provided by your OEM is out of our scope of support and you should contact Supermicro* about it and if they have any issue related to the development of his driver package they will be able to contact the appropriate department directly.

As mentioned before:

The issue you are reporting seems more related to an OS issue instead of an issue with the RSTe component that came in your system. Based on the troubleshooting you have done using different versions of the driver and even the generic driver from our website and still experiencing the same issue our best recommendation is to reinstall your OS or to upgrade your OS to a newer version of Windows* server since the one that you are using is 11 years old and has limited support available.

Please take into consideration that Supermicro* should be the one providing you with support for your server system, components and drivers since the driver or software for your RSTe component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with them so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Novice

Hi Josh.

Thank you for reply.

Reinstall is not possible on working system. Upgrade the OS version is not possibly too (we have a software that dont work on 2012, 2016, 2019 windows server, main software).

I can try the way of install drivers from OEM driver CD. But it only possible 27-28 aug, not early, so please don't close the topic. I post results of this try when its done.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Novice

Hello, Josh.

You was right. Version of RSTe from drivers CD (ISO) (link to the iso) works.

Today (tonight) I have a time window of 4-6 hours and can reboot server, so I try to solve the problem, again.

Supermicro told me to try version 3.8.0.1113 of RSTe and drivers, and give me archive with it, but it has an error at start, this error does not appears at windows event log (screenshot attached).

After fail with version 3.8.0.1113 I try to follow Intel recommendations (try RSTe version from drivers CD ISO).

Version of RSTe from drivers CD (ISO) is 4.0.0.1040. After install and reboot the icon in tray say "service not running". And yes, service does not exist in OS. So I open cmd (run as admin) and install it manually:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe"

After service installation I run the program from tray icon, and it works, no errors. RAID1 creation already in progress.

It works! RSTe Version 4.0.0.1040 works on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thank you, @JoshB_Intel​ , @DavidV_Intel​ , Intel support team.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

We are glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue you were experiencing with your SuperMicro* server system by installing your OEM drivers from the ISO file available on their website.

We will proceed to close this case.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos