Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2063 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology R10 Failed (Help)

tmurray4192
Beginner

Evening All,

Well, I have a R10 created using rapid storage technology. I have 4 WD 4TB drives in the raid. The os had 8TB. One drive failed (sata connector broke on drive). The intel RST app said one drive failed while in the os. I shut down the pc and removed bad drive, inserted a new drive and powered up pc and hit "CTRL+I". This is where my nightmare began! See attached pic for details. I don't understand why i have only two member disks. The "Error Occured(0)" is the bad member drive, so this would be the 3rd member disk. So what happened to the 4th member disk? all the other disks say "non-raid disk". The main menu only allows me to uses option 1,2,3 and 6. I have never had this type of issue happen before and I am at a loss. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello tmurray4192,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

I need to gather the details below for me to understand the issue better.

1. What is the brand and model of your motherboard?
  2. What triggered the issue, is there a power outage?
  3. Do you have a data back up?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
tmurray4192
Beginner

I need to gather the details below for me to understand the issue better.

1. What is the brand and model of your motherboard?
    1. MSI Z77A-G45 (MS-7752 V4)
  2. What triggered the issue, is there a power outage?
    1. one of member disk (out of 4) sata power plastic connector broke on drive connection. 
  3. Do you have a data back up?
    1. I do have an image backup of pc. 

I am using R10 with 4TB drives @4. Only one drive "went bad". OS stayed booted . When I restarted pc to enter Intel Rapid Storage (CTRL+I) in BIOs bootup to view, it only allowed me access to the options in the pic i already attached with this post. I rebooted pc to let it run in a degraded mode. That is when the pc would not boot. I went back into (CTRL +I) and then noticed it was FAILED and not DEGRADE as the W10 Intel Rapid Storage app stated before I rebooted the first time. 

I want to understand what happened so I can have some faith in this type of setup. Bios was to the latest version and had been running fine for at least 5 years. I have a Macrium Reflect image backup. However, I don't want to simply reimage the pc until I understand why my R10 failed when only one drive out of four had a broken power connector. 

Thank you..  

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello tmurray4192,

Thank you for the reply.

Upon checking your board, this one supports 3rd Gen processors and we don't have further technical support for these systems. However, fellow community members may have the knowledge to jump in and help you.

Let me just provide some possible reasons why the RAID failed even if only 1 drive failed.

For older systems like this, there are a lot of possible reasons. Drive may be failing or the boards controller is also failing then randomly detects the drive. Or possible power failure may have caused this that's why I asked if there is a power outage. Another possible cause is the power supply, randomly cutting the power to the drive or board.

That is why we recommend to always have a data back up specially to older system like this. Since the RAID already failed, you may just re-create the RAID and copy the data back up.

Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos