Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2039 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 0 array swapping between 6GB/s and 3GB/s

RDoyl
Beginner

I'm getting some strange behaviour from my Intel RAID 0 Array.

I have an MSI GT70 2OD Laptop, that has a RAID 0 array of 3 SSD Drives.

However the whole RAID Array keeps switching between 6GB/s and 3GB/s transfer rate.

This typically occurs when powering on the machine or awaking from sleep.

It appears to be caused by the 3rd SSD of the array (all the other drives in the Array stay at 6GB/s, but the 3rd one jumps between 6GB/s and 3GB/s)

Its been in to MSI Support 3 times, but they seem to think it is working as expected! (and its driving me up the wall).

The HD Tune results run at 50% speed when its being detected as 3GB/s

Any idea why this would occur, is this normal behavour?

Is this a software issue, or a hardware issue?

Mank thanks for any help.

Richard

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDoyl
Beginner

Also to note - this occurs with all the latest updates, and also when reset to factory settings.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Richard, this behavior could be cause by many reasons.

Some of them are the following:

1. A defective SATA cable: I would recommend you test another SATA cable on the SSD that is giving you this behavior.
  2. RST version: Please try using RST version 12.9 and check if you are getting the same results. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23496&lang=eng&ProdId=2101 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23496&lang=eng&ProdId=2101
  3. Check with MSI if all SATA ports are SATA3 (6GB/s)
RDoyl
Beginner

Many thanks for the response Syliva,

1) The MSI Laptop uses a funny "Super RAID 2" Adaptor board - so no SATA Cables. That got replaced that under a previous return to MSI but didn't fix things.

2) I tried with various RST versions - latest from Intel and the one recommend by MSI, unfortunately all with the same result.

3) Yes the ports are all SATA3 (and they work correctly sometimes)

MSI finally detected an issue in the last return to them (or gave up to my constant emails!), either way they are replacing my laptop now, so problem solved!

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for letting us know RichyD.

0 Kudos