Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2088 Discussions

Is it possible to do raid1 with Intel Rapid Storage Technology in Windows without losing system data

hantony
Beginner

Hello,

I have a question here, is it possible to set up raid1 using Intel Rapid Storage Technology inside Windows without losing data even if OS has already been installed?

Current situation:

1. Two SSD with windows 10 OS installed on SSD No.1, and some other data on SSD No.2
  2. Trying to Set up Raid1 between these two SSD with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Software and mirror all files from SSD1 to SSD2 without loosing my original data on SSD1.
  3. I have already installed Rapid Storage Technology Software and they can see both SSD info and I can see there is raid setup option, but I am too scared to press that because I am not sure if it will wipe out my current system Disk data on SSD1
  4. When Restart PC I can see on the first screen that both SSD are labled ”non raid disk”, and if I go into BIOS, the sata mode selection is “Intel RST premium” (not AHCI)

Should I just use the Rapid Storage Technology Software inside within windows 10 to do the Raid 1 process? Will I loose any data on my system Disk(SSD1) ? is there any settings I need to do under Bios or any drivers I need to install from Intel?  

Thankyou very much for any advise from anyone, thankyou

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Hantony,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

While this request might extend beyond our usual range of services, I'm more than willing to investigate which team can offer you the best support. For us to proceed, could you please provide the specific model of your system and the models of your drives?

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
hantony
Beginner

Hello Caguicla,

I am using an Industrial PC made by Nexcom, the model is "Nise 3800 P2". I will show the info link below:
https://www.nexcom.com/Products/iot-automation-solutions/industrial-fanless-computer/core-i-performance/fanless-pc-fanless-computer-nise-3800e2-p2-p2e

My PC is running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC version. With two Crucial MX500 1TB SSD inside now. I also have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed and running on the back ground. And as you can see if i open the software, i can see both SSD and there is an option for me to create an RAID volume. ( please refer to the photo).

Also can you tell me which is the correct Intel Rapid Storage Technology software to install for my model and OS? or should i install "intel optane memory and storage management"? .I am not really sure if i installed the right one, but it does show two SSD drives for now. Please give me a link or something, thankyou

(Background story):
Initially i bought the PC with Raid-1 already setup due to my request. everything was fine except I couldnt see the raid info inside window so I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology software. After the installation, I can see the RAID info in more detail. but later on, one of the disk will sometimes just dissapears for no reason. So I cloned my system and data to new SSD. and took out both old SSD and put in the two new SSD. And after reboot, system runs fine, I have all my datas, but RAID-1 setup has been removed.

And now i wish to rebuild my system to Raid-1, but I am kind of afraid if i will wipe out the current data or it will fail to run after I reboot. (I thinking setting up RAID by pressing CTRL+I under BIOS will definatly wipe out both SSD's data)

Please let me know what other information to provide if needed. Thankyou

-Hantony,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Hantony,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I'll check this request internally and give you an update as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Hantony,

Thank you for your patience.

Setting up RAID 1 using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) within Windows without losing data is a process that requires careful steps to ensure data integrity. Here's a general guide on how to proceed, but please note that it's crucial to back up all important data before attempting any changes to your storage configuration, as there's always a risk of data loss when working with RAID setups.

1. Backup Data: Before proceeding, ensure you have a complete backup of all data on both SSDs.

2. Check BIOS Settings: Ensure that the SATA mode is set to "Intel RST premium" in the BIOS, as you've mentioned.

3. Use IRST Software: Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software within Windows.

4. Create RAID Volume: Use the option to create a RAID volume. When prompted, select RAID 1 (Mirror) as the volume type.

5. Select Source Disk: You'll need to select the disk that contains the data you want to keep (SSD No.1 in your case) as the source disk for the mirror.

6. Initiate the Process: Proceed with the RAID creation process. The software should mirror the data from SSD No.1 to SSD No.2 without deleting the existing data on SSD No.1.

It's important to understand that while the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software is designed to create RAID volumes without data loss, there is no absolute guarantee. The process typically retains the data on the source disk and mirrors it to the other disk, but anomalies can occur.

Regarding the correct version of the IRST software for your Nexcom Nise 3800 P2 running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, it's best to consult the manufacturer's website or support service for the most compatible version. They may provide the specific version of IRST or Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management that's tested and recommended for your system.

Remember, RAID is not a substitute for regular backups, so continue to back up your data regularly even after setting up RAID 1. RAID 1 provides redundancy in case of a drive failure, but it does not protect against data corruption, accidental deletion, or other types of data loss.

Article reference:

Delete a RAID 1 Mirror Without Data Loss

No Options to Set Up RAID in the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management / Intel® RST Application

Is It Possible to Create a RAID 1 Volume after Installing the OS in Advance Host Controller Interface (AHCI) Mode?

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
hantony
Beginner

Hello Caguicla

thankyou for the reply, I will backup first and give it a go after that 

thankyou for your help

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi hantony,

You're welcome.

We will leave this thread open, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you require any additional help.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi hantony,

Good day!

I'm reaching out to confirm if you need any further assistance or have any more questions regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
hantony
Beginner

Hello Caguicla

For now, I am doing the backup for my current data before I try the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Raid 1 method. So it may take a while before I get to that step. 

I will definatley let you know what the result is when I am done. 

Thankyou for the help,  

- Hantony

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi hantony,

Thank you for the update.

We will keep an eye on this discussion and leave the thread active. If you require any additional support, please feel free to reach out to us.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hi hantony,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hi hantony,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up to check if you tried our recommendations after creating a back up. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos