Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Looking for versions of chipset SATA Raid Controllers.

PEccl
Beginner

Two Dell machines. Both have two entries in Programs and Features:

Windows Driver Package - Intel Corporation (iaStorB)

Windows Driver Package - Intel Corporation (iaStorE)

In device manager "Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller" and "Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset sSATA RAID Controller". The drivers are iaStorB.sys and iaStorE.sys.

Version on one machine is 03/02/2017 5.0.0.2502 and on the other machine 09/26/2017 5.3.0.1388.

I want to updatye the former machine to the same version. I cannot find these drivers anywhere. I can download the file Intel_RSTe_AHCI_Win_Drivers_GUI_CLI_CIM_4.7.0.1117.zip but the equivalent drivers have a later date but earlier version! (4.7.0.1117).

Dell Precsion 7920.

Can anyone provide further information?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello PEccl, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would like to know if the specifications of both systems is exactly the same or if they differ? Because, even though sometimes the model and brand may be the same, you have the option to change the configuration. Also, please let me know if you are experiencing any problem aside from the fact that the drivers are different, this is so I can assist you further in case you are having an issue with Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology. Finally, I would like to mention that the driver is updated according to the system manufacturer's testings and validations, the driver is then delivered via Windows Update. You can try checking under Dell's website to see if there is a version compatible with both systems you have so you can have both of them with the same version if needed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PEccl
Beginner

David,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can see both systems are exactly the same, same CPU, same memory, same drivers, both Dell model, both sourced at the same time. I was not involved in the initial setups.

On one of the machines a software application is very slow to startup and on the other it isn't. I looked in Device Manager and Programs and Features to see if there are any differences between the machines. The only one I could see was in the versions of these drivers. If I go into Device Manager and disable the two entries, the problem stops. So logically it would be worth trying to update to the same version as the other machine, do you not agree?

The drivers are produced by Intel and you already offer similar drivers for download on your website as noted (4.7.0.1117). I could just try to copy the .sys files but would rather do it in the proper manner, so if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. This driver package must be avilable somewhere right? The software in question is rather old, I am not attaching any blame to Intel for this issue, just looking for a quick, practical solution. Debugging exactly what is going wrong could take weeks and would not necessarily lead to a conclusion.

What exactly is the difference between these two versions 5.0.0.2502 and on the other machine 09/26/2017 5.3.0.1388? Is there any reason for them to be different between the two machines? If you could explain the differences I may be able to work out why they are different.

What would be the consequences of disabling these drivers, would that mean no RAID capability?

Thanks again,

Phil

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello PEccl, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, I would need to know the operating system version you are running. Are you running Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology or Intel ® Matrix Storage Manager? This is important because, I was reading in our download center that the most similar drivers to the one you mentioned are for the Intel ® Matrix Storage Manager. Please, for more details, provide me with an System Support Utility report. This report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PEccl
Beginner

Thanks David.

I have sent the utility to the client with a request to run. Hopefully they get back today.

From what I read Intel ® Matrix Storage Manager is just the old name for Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology. Searching for drivers refers to XP, Windows 2000 etc. But these machines are new Windows 10 Dell Servers!

Quick question. You asked "Are you running Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology or Intel ® Matrix Storage Manager?" Which is the quickest way to tell?

Unfortunately I am no longer on site (quite remote site) so answers may be slow.

Regards,

Phil

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello PEccl, Thank you for your response. You can tell depending on the name of software showing when you open the interface. If you are using Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology I would like to know if you are using enterprise or just Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology. Normally, by looking with the model of the system you can find the downloads in the system manufacturer's download site. Over there you can find the best version for the system, be it Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology or Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise. Please provide me with the System Support Utility when possible. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PEccl1
Beginner

​Here is the output of SSU.

There is no actual Intel Rapid Storage Technology program with a front-end. I know the difference because on other servers I am able to launch this program and see it. I have attached an image showing the installed Programs.

This is why I find it hard to answer the question: "Are you running Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology or Intel ® Matrix Storage Manager?"

0 Kudos
PEccl1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
PEccl1
Beginner

In Services there is no Intel Rapid Storage Technology service but there is an Intel Asset Manager service.​

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello PEccl, Thank you for your response. According to what you have mentioned and provided, there is no Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology or Matrix Storage installed in the system, this means that you can actually download the version provided by Dell* directly. I was checking and I found the following: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-7920r-workstation/drivers * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * Under "storage controllers" you will find the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise which is the one tested by Dell* to work with the system. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PEccl1
Beginner

David,

Thanks, you've been very helpful. Final question(s). These servers were setup by bsomeone else and I only got involved after the fact to try to solve the orginally reported problem. However I distinctly remember RAID (level 1) being configured in the LifecycleController/BIOS. Am I correct in thinking that the absence of Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology will not mean the RAID mirroring does not happen (i.e. Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology is not vital to turn on RAID operation)?

Without Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology being installed, is there any purpose to the "Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller" and "Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset sSATA RAID Controller" drivers?

I'll take any response you provide as information offered for my convenience and not technical advice on systems whose detailed setup you cannot possibly be aware of.

Phil

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello PEccl, Thank you for your response. You are correct, according to my knowledge, you do not need the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology interface to create a RAID 1. It offers a user-friendly interface; however, the RAID should've been created either way without it. I would strongly suggest to contact Dell* so they can see and make sure that the RAID controller in the Dell Rack is working properly, something else I could recommend is to run diagnostics on the drives in question, you could try creating the RAID with different drives for testing purposes. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PEccl,

Were you able to check my post?

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PEccl,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
PEccl1
Beginner

David,

It's not easy to run any diagnostics just now as the Servers are being run 24/7. It's more information gathering for my next visit which could be several months away.

You've been very helpful so far. But there are always additional questions!

I understand that RAID can work without Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology. However, will RAID work without the drivers specified in the original post? What exactly do those drivers do and what would be any possible effects of disabling them?

Again I will re-ask the original question. These specific drivers I mentioned are owned by Intel so they must be available somewhere. Are they available for download?

Is simply copying the updated files iaStorB.sys and iaStorE.sys into the correct folder a valid thing to do or should it go through a proper update process (so that the entry in Programs and Features is also updated).

I don't know the exact RAID situation on the Dell machines. It was not setup by me. When there is some downtime and I am on site I will have a look at it. Just now I am looking for information (and hopefully a package to update the drivers) to try to resolve the current problem. I will take full responsibility for any changes made on the machines, I fully understand nobody can have a full picture or make official recommendations.

Phil

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PEccl,

Thank you for your response.

To answer your question, any drivers required for the RAID controller to run properly are actually provided by the different system manufacturers. The drivers for the RAID controller are gotten after updating or installing Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology since it comes with the software and the driver. The best version is provided by the system manufacturer.

It is important to keep the drivers the way they are installed since that is the version the system found to be compatible. Furthermore, having different driver versions should not really affect the performance in a bad way.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PEccl,

Were you able to check my post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello PEccl,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos