Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Once more: Unable to activate SSD cache - error 0xA001004E

TReh
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to activate SSD caching on a Dell T3420 (C236PCH chipset). The system is running Windows 7 x64 Pro and has a 1 TB HDD.

I installed an additional 60 GB SSD at the free SATA port and verified that in the BIOS the SATA mode is set to RAID. In the RST UI, the option is presented to use the SSD as cache for the system. However, after having entered the configuration settings, an extremely unspecific error message appears:

No matter what I do or try, this error persists.

I searched for the error code 0xA001004E and found several people having the same problem, but no solution.

I already ran Intel SSU, but the report doesn't show anything that appears wrong. Also, both drives are listed there (the SSD showing up only if not "tried" to use as cache). Also, the RST system report shows no errors or any useful information. The "cache volume" appears OK, but obviously it's not "connected" to the HDD.

What exactly causes that mysterious error code, and how can I resolve this?

Tilmann

0 Kudos
60 Replies
TReh
Beginner

JFTR: Of course I checked the partitions (and once more a few minutes ago).

No errors or problems are reported.

Tilmann

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello,

one more week passed by. Okay, it's Christmas time now and many people are on vacation - but I really hope Intel will show more dedication in 2018...

However, I'd like to offer that I might also help finding out what's going on there, in case you need to do some "research" since the problem is not reproducible at the machines available at Intel. If you, for example, provide a test version of the RST software that creates some kind of log files, I could run that here and send the log files to you. Maybe that could speed up the "research" somehow.

Regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tilmann: I just wanted to let you know that we are currently still working on this case. As soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: I just received an update on this subject, there is a another version of Intel® RST, it is version 15.9, please install it to confirm if it works properly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

Another option we can try is to run the diskpart command to clean the SSD and then test it again:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-vista/cc766465(v=ws.10) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-vista/cc766465(v=ws.10)

If the issue persists we can also use Intel® RST version 15.7:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26865/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26865/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

thanks for your message - however:

a) Upgrading to the current version 15.9.0.1015 doesn't help much. As expected, the behaviour is exactly the same - however, the error code now is 0xA0040002 which differs from the previous error code in bit 18 (whatever that may mean).

b) As expected, "cleaning" the SSD with diskpart also doesn't change anything. Take care that RST correctly creates the cache volume on the SSD - it only fails when trying to assign this to the harddisk that shall be cached.

c) Please note that at my first request, I was already using version 15.7.0.1014 so this obviously is no solution.

This is getting very frustrating meanwhile. I'd really appreciate to get some more serious support...

Regards,

Tilmann

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Duc,

since Intel obviously doesn't manage to fix the problem with current releases, I finally tried the downgrade to version 15.2.16.1060 - and surprisingly I was able to assign the cache SSD to the main hard disk without any error message. The Intel RST GUI reports everything's fine now, we'll see if it really works...

Regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tilmann: Perfect, thank you very much for providing those results. Excellent, we are really glad to hear that you were able to assign the cache SSD to the main hard drive when using Intel® RST version 15.2.16.1060.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

while I understand that you're glad now, please take care that the problems - completely lacking documentation, contradictory information, fatal bugs in current versions - still are not fixed at all. During the last 11 weeks, Intel was not able to provide any useful help, and the only helpful hint was that of another user who by chance found out that a previous version apparently isn't affected by this bug.

(Please note that this is no offense to you - I'm pretty sure you did your best.)

However, now that it seems to work: how can I get some statistics information from the SRT cache? (Just to verify it really works...)

Thanks & regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tilmann: We apologize for all the inconvenience. I just received an update on this matter, could you please provide the complete BSOD dump files on the reported and latest driver? We will analyze the dump and provide the results.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

this whole issue makes me very sad.

I have NEVER reported a BSOD. Perhaps you carefully read the whole thread again.

It's just that RST shows error message boxes with undocumented error codes and simply refuses to work.

Maybe you confused this thread with another one?

Regards,

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: I just wanted to let you know that the RST development team is looking into the issue. The issue could not be replicated internally on Intel® RST reference platforms and hence this issue could be related to other hardware components like for example the HDD. We will give you an update by the end of this week on what we find internally.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

thanks for your support.

If Intel can't reproduce that problem, I offered my help already: If you'd provide a modified test version of RST that creates some logfile, you could collect some information about what exactly is going on (resp. wrong) at a PC that reproducibly shows this error with all tested RST versions above 15.2.

I very well understand that it's hard to trace a problem without being able to reproduce it.

Best regards,

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann: You are very welcome. I just received and update on this subject, we just wanted to let you know that we were able to replicate the issue internally and have started the investigation on the failures. We will provide all the updates as soon as there is any development.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
YPetr2
Novice

Hello Tilmann.

I bow to your patience and perseverance.

I probably have the same problem.

Intel RST Version

0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Hello Fortis, could you try this workaround fix?

If it worked, please let us know

0 Kudos
YPetr2
Novice

Thanks Duc and Tilmann.

I solved the problem.Error 0xA005004E

Installed and removed:

Intel® RST v.12.8.0.1016 - Does not work.Recommended by the motherboard manufacturer.

Intel® RST v.12.9.0.1001 - Does not work.

Intel® RST v.15.9.0.1015 - Does not work.The latest version.

Installed Intel® RST v.15.2.16.1060

Everything is working.

Five lost days of life.

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Fortis,

you should be glad it's only been five days...

It appears that the problem is fairly common and reproducible, with those obscure error codes varying somewhat.

Obviously Intel has broken something after RST 15.2, and - almost unbelievable - they have not been able to find and fix it within months.

I'm still curious if they finally manage to correct that bug(s)...

Tilmann

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

now it's two more weeks after you reported that Intel could reproduce the problem. Still no news about it?

Regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

... three weeks...

And my question about how to get some statistics (13.01.18) also is still unanswered.

It appears to me that Intel has a serious problem with their customer relationship.

Regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Hello Tilmann, could you try this workaround fix?

/thread/121638 Replacing Smart Response Technology (SRT) SSD or Target HDD, unknown error fix workaround

If it worked, please let us know

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: I just wanted to let you know that this issue is being worked by the development team and the issue should be fixed with the next Intel® RST driver release. As soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos