Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Once more: Unable to activate SSD cache - error 0xA001004E

TReh
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to activate SSD caching on a Dell T3420 (C236PCH chipset). The system is running Windows 7 x64 Pro and has a 1 TB HDD.

I installed an additional 60 GB SSD at the free SATA port and verified that in the BIOS the SATA mode is set to RAID. In the RST UI, the option is presented to use the SSD as cache for the system. However, after having entered the configuration settings, an extremely unspecific error message appears:

No matter what I do or try, this error persists.

I searched for the error code 0xA001004E and found several people having the same problem, but no solution.

I already ran Intel SSU, but the report doesn't show anything that appears wrong. Also, both drives are listed there (the SSD showing up only if not "tried" to use as cache). Also, the RST system report shows no errors or any useful information. The "cache volume" appears OK, but obviously it's not "connected" to the HDD.

What exactly causes that mysterious error code, and how can I resolve this?

Tilmann

0 Kudos
60 Replies
TReh
Beginner

Hello FireFlower,

thanks for your posts and that suggestion.

However, currently I don't have the time to try this and that - and since caching apparently works with RST 15.2, I'd rather not change anything now...

Thanks though,

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: We are still currently working on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: I just wanted to let you know that we are still working on this subject and as soon as we have an update or the driver released we will provide all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

thanks for the note. I am really impressed by how fast the Intel developers are solving this problem.

Regards,

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann: You are very welcome. We are doing our best to resolve this problem as soon as possible. I will provide all the details on this thread as soon as I get any updates.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello,

just for the record: today, another four weeks have passed by without any notice.

That makes ten weeks from claimed reproducibility.

Believe me, I am even more impressed than before.

Tilmann

0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Yet another four more weeks.

Hard to believe.

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann: I just received an update on this subject, please try to install the latest driver version which is 16.0.2 and let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27681/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

please note that that release explicitly supports only Windows 10, while I'm using Windows 7.

(BTW, it was released in February, so you could have mentioned it ten weeks ago.)

After six months, I finally give up.

Regards, Tilmann

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Alberto,

Please tell us where the Windows 7 version of this package is located.

TIA,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann: Let me apologize for all the inconvenience. I just wanted to let you know that the case has been escalated within the development team and we are waiting for results.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tilmann: I just received an update and we have the issue root caused, looks like on Windows 7 the API for shrinking partition sometimes fails. We will do further testings and we will let you know the results as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tilmann: I just wanted to let you know that I just received some updates on this subject, the bug is in implemented stage and is scheduled for a maintenance release on 15.8 driver. The release of the driver is targeted for September.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Where can that driver update be found??

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann,

To provide accurate information, I will request this information from the proper department.

Now, do these issues occur if you use the latest Intel® RST driver provided by your system manufacturer?

Windows* 7, 32-bit or 64-bit

Version: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-t3420-workstation/drivers 15.7.5.1025 ,A03

**Make sure you review the proper documentation first.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

in another message (obviously deleted shortly after) you wrote:

Now, a new Intel® RST driver was released by your system manufacturer on 10/03/2018. Since it has been customized for Dell Precision Tower 3420, please try this version first.

Take care that the real release date of that driver is September 12, 2017, and it's still a 15.7 version.

To you really want me to test that really old version, after I was informed that the bug has finally been found in May, fixed in June and the fix should be released in September 2018?

Tilmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tilmann,

The fact that it is an old version does not mean that it will not fix the issue you are reporting. If you did not try that version in the first place, and read the proper documentation about that driver release, you can give it a try. That is just a suggestion that you may follow since the drivers available at the Download Center were not customized for your system.

Regarding your previous request, I will get back to the proper department to assist you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TReh
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

I installed the 15.7.5.1025 from the Dell website and indeed it seems to work correctly now.

While I still don't understand the sense of that weird version management, I accept this as a working solution.

Regards

Tilmann

0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Hello, could you try this workaround fix?

If it worked, please let us know

0 Kudos