Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2088 Discussions

Problem with IRST driver in windows 10 installation (ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 GU502LV)

Rbsmarte
Beginner

Hi,

Due to problems with Windows I wanted to reinstall the OS, but the installer does not recognize the SSD.

I have tried with the driver that comes on the manufacturer's page and with several of the drivers available from Intel, but I can't find the right one so that the Windows installation recognizes it.

My laptop's hard drive is a 512 GB M.2 NVMe ™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD

My laptop is an ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 GU502LV

Could you tell me which driver would be the right one for Windows to detect?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't need RST in order to use an NVMe SSD. In fact, if you have no plans to use RST for RAID or Optane volumes, then you do not need RST enabled in the BIOS (leave SATA Mode set to AHCI) and you do not need to install the RST drivers or software at runtime.

What you do need is to have UEFI Boot enabled in the BIOS and to also install Windows 10 in UEFI Boot mode (i.e., not Legacy Boot; you cannot use NVMe with Legacy boot). When you get to the scene in the installer where it is asking you to select where to install Windows 10, delete all existing partitions on the destination drive and then tell the installer to install to the drives free space (which should encompass the entire drive now).

I have found that the Windows 10 installation media (flash drives, etc.) does not work properly. I recommend that you build new media using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. You can find this tool and start the process of building this media from this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos