Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2094 Discussions

Problem with VMD controller - windows 11

cadmarques
Beginner

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with i7-11800H with windows 11.

It has one Nvme SSD and a SATA SSD.

Several times it has happened that suddenly the windows stops detecting the SATA SSD which I have with letter F:. The BIOS detects the SSD but windows does not.

After several times it happened and many hours dedicated to solving the problem, i was able to circle the problem and believe that it is related with the VMD controller, may be drivers?

This last time, windows would never detect the SSD, no matter how many times i would restart it so i went to the BIOS, disabled the VMD Controller and saved.

The laptop was naturally not able to start up so i went to the BIOS again, Enabled back the VMD controller and saved.

The laptop booted up, did a very fast windows update/configuration, like just a few seconds really and there it was, drive F: was back.

I am sure the problem will happen again. It has happened when installing VSCode on drive F:, Visual Studio on drive F:, a 3D application on drive F: and now i was running Blender from... drive F:.

The SSD is working fine, it just stops being detected/recognized from windows, until something related with the VMD Controller is re-configured /re-set, apparently.

I have three controllers in Device Manager -> Storage Controller, as can be seen in the photo and they all say they have the latest driver.

I dont know where to go from here, i know this will happen again and again and its nerve wrecking.

I wonder if anyone has any hint of what may be causing it and which steps i should take.

Thank you in advance,

Cesar

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Dear @cadmarques,

Thank you for reaching out to the Intel️® communities. We sincerely appreciate your trust in us to assist you with your concern.

In this particular situation, it is essential to initiate contact with Acer for dedicated support regarding your issue. After a thorough review of your case, it becomes evident that Acer, as the original manufacturer of your laptop, holds the expertise and responsibility for addressing any issues related to their products. Engaging with Acer first is not only in line with best practices but also crucial for preserving your product's warranty.

By directly seeking assistance from Acer, you can ensure that your laptop's warranty remains intact and that any troubleshooting steps provided are in alignment with their guidelines. This proactive approach is the safest way to protect your valuable investment.

As the issue must be addressed by the OEM, we will be closing this thread accordingly. If you have any further inquiries or require additional information, please don't hesitate to start a new discussion, as this thread will no longer be actively monitored.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cadmarques
Beginner

Unfortunatly, Acer does not solve my problem, as they made clear.

Last case scenario i send them the laptop, stay without it for weeks, they replace the motherboard, which appears to be working fine, does the windows updates and the problem is back.

I have already sent them the laptop and they replaced the motherboard.

I was hoping someone could help with this since its directly related with the VMD Controller.

So where will I go from here? Nowhere?

0 Kudos