Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Pros and cons between using Win 10 Pro built-in RAID/software vs boot BIOS (Intel RST) vs installed

Elie
Novice

I’ll be using 3 new WD Black 2 TB drives on my Dell XPS 8910:
NVMe (1) – wanting to use it exclusively for the OS and all application installations
HHD SATA (2) – wanting to set them up as RAID 1

After plenty of research, I’m very confused and still undecided.

I’ve come across many negative discussions regarding staying away from using BIOS RAID aka ‘fakeraid’ as not being true ‘HW’ RAID via the mainboard controller chipset, advising to use Windows RAID rather then IRST for several negative reasons. One of my main concern is that, if anything happens to the main board, I will have no access to the data on the RAID drives, using any other PC, I’ll new to replace the mainboard with the exact model and version of IRST – if that’s a fact, this would be awful and unrealistic, and certainly the wrong choice to proceed.
The bottom line is, before I choose which route to take, please I ask you if you could highlight the pros and cons between all of the above, and if any or some of it is true.

Thank you so much for reading and sharing your insights.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Elie

Regarding these concerns, please bear in mind this is an onboard Hardware/Software RAID controller, this means you will need to set RAID volume on RAID BIOS then use Windows® to install the console that will control and monitor volumes.

If motherboard failure, a RAID 1 will work just fine since data will be not impacted since the operating system (OS) will be on a different SSD.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Elie

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to look into these inquiries and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Elie

Regarding these concerns, please bear in mind this is an onboard Hardware/Software RAID controller, this means you will need to set RAID volume on RAID BIOS then use Windows® to install the console that will control and monitor volumes.

If motherboard failure, a RAID 1 will work just fine since data will be not impacted since the operating system (OS) will be on a different SSD.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Elie
Novice

Hello Andrew,

I did follow your steps. I feel much better now, knowing that I won't have any issue if anything happens to the motherboard down the road.

Everything is fully up and running as I reply to you.

Thanks again for your insight and support!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Elie

Thank you for your response and for the feedback. We are glad to know that everything is fully up and running.

Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos