Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

RAID 1

MBrow12
Beginner

Can I add a second drive and convert my boot drive to Raid 1 without losing information?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FrostEOne,

Thank you for posting.

From your description and the structure of RAID1, I understand that you currently have not set RAID 1 in your system because you will need to have two physical disks in RAID. In that case, you need to set your BIOS to RAID and this implicates to re-install the operating system and then use the steps below.

If you already installed your operating system in RAID mode, you can check these steps:

1. Turn off the system and install one or more additional hard drives.
  2. Turn on the system.
  3. Use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface to create a RAID volume. You can migrate the data from a single hard drive to a RAID volume that includes that hard drive and the new hard drive(s). You can also create a new RAID volume using the newly added hard drives.

I would always recommend backing your information.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MBrow12
Beginner

That all sounds good, thank you for the info.

Let me add some details, HP Z400 workstation with onboard Intel raid controller.

Currently there exists a RAID5 array consisting of 3 - 1TB drives used for data storage.

Single boot drive failed last Fri, reloaded on a spare drive I had here.

Ordered 2 500GB SSD drives I intend to RAID1 for a boot drive.

I was thinking I could add one 500GB and create a RAID1 array from current drive plus the new drive.

Then I was going to remove the original drive and replace it with the other 500GB SSD and let the raid controller rebuild the array.

Make any sense? Is it an option to do it this way? Like to save reloading again if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Mark.

Yes, you can add the new 500GB SSD with your boot drive and create a RAID 1 volume with these two. Then, you can remove your boot drive and replace it with the other new 500GB SSD and rebuild with new disk.

These steps can help you: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005837/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html Move a RAID 1 Volume to Larger Hard Drive

Remember to back up your information.

Amy C

0 Kudos
MBrow12
Beginner

Thank you very much Amy C,

I will indeed back any data that is new, but not a lot new since reload was Fri 28, I still have the backup used then, unfortunately it is 2 months old.

What I'm really after is to save repeating my time spent loading, configuring everything and replacing data.

Took all day, starting from first version of Win10, only copy I had. Giving it the attention it asked for as the OS loaded and upgraded, then adding my apps, configuring them and adding data back.

Best Regards,

Mark B

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, I understand that. Moving data is not fast thing to do.

If you are able to give it a try, let me know.

Amy C

0 Kudos
MBrow12
Beginner

Drives scheduled to arrive Monday, will give it a go Tuesday AM.

Able and ready as they say!

Spent the last 12 years of my working career as a PC Support Analyst, retired 5 years ago. RAID isn't popular in PCs, but I've been running a RAID5 array for 10 years. Mirrored boot drive will be new experience.

Hey, new question: Can I demote a 3 drive RAID5 array to a 2 drive RAID1 mirror?

Thanks again,

Mark B

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Let me double check this.

Amy C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is not possible according to our Supported RAID Migrations for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005997/technologies.html Supported RAID Migrations for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Amy C

0 Kudos
MBrow12
Beginner

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible but had to ask. Great information in the migrations link you sent, thanks.

New drives delayed until Tue due to Columbus Day.

I'll take care of the RAID5 to RAID1 conversion this weekend.

More of that data backup and restore, at least it will run unattended, no programs involved, just saved files.

Thanks very much for all your advice, assures I'm on the right path.

Best regards,

Mark B

0 Kudos
MBrow12
Beginner

Well, that didn't work at all. Was unable to create an array from the original boot drive by adding a new drive and setting the original and it up as a RAID1 array. Kept getting an error that said "insufficient memory - creation failed" and then another popup box that said the "array was created successfully". Checking the results I found the array was not created. Acronis True Image provided by the drive manufacture didn't recognize there was a drive of their brand present and wouldn't run. PIA

Pulled original 250G drive out, setup the 500G mirror array and loaded the OS. Thank goodness for backups.

Going to do my data drive today, it's all backed to another 1TB drive so I'm going to just reset the current 2 drives to non-array, remove them and install new drives, setup array and copy data back. Probably just as fast as rebuilding the array twice, once for each drive change. Old school I know, but it works!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry to hear that the array was not created!

Since it process failed, your option is indeed the safest one. Glad you came across this one!

If we can help you with something else, please let us know.

Amy C

0 Kudos